Remote Receiver Needed (1 Viewer)

timpharrison

October 5, 2007
Hi all,

I have a Logitech Harmony remote, which I want to use to control my soon-to-be-built HTPC.

I understand that I will need an IR receiver, but want to fork out for the Microsoft remote & receiver pack, as I don't need the remote.

Has anyone bought a seperate IR receiver? Can I buy any IR receiver listed on eBay? Microsoft don't seem to sell the receiver on its own.

Thanks!
Tim

lordkenyon

October 5, 2007
Hi all,

I have a Logitech Harmony remote, which I want to use to control my soon-to-be-built HTPC.

I understand that I will need an IR receiver, but want to fork out for the Microsoft remote & receiver pack, as I don't need the remote.

Has anyone bought a seperate IR receiver? Can I buy any IR receiver listed on eBay? Microsoft don't seem to sell the receiver on its own.

Thanks!
Tim

I'm also interested in this as I've got a Harmony as well. Can a homebrew option like this work with MP?

http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=introduction

I'd love to just build one so I can integrate it myself. But I'm also willing to buy one if there's a cheap option without the remote. I know USB UIRT is an option but over $50 is more than I'd rather pay for this feature.

EDIT: Should mention that I've got MP up and running alright and I'm quite happy so far. Works well with my Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard, but the remote will truly make it girlfriend friendly.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How about some of these TV-tuner cards that come with remotes, do some of them include IR receivers?

Yes, but either onboard so it connects directly to the motherboard or usb preferred, over TVCard receivers, gives you much more scope to control whole pc environment.

pschwar

Portal Member
    November 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    How about some of these TV-tuner cards that come with remotes, do some of them include IR receivers?

Yes, but either onboard so it connects directly to the motherboard or usb preferred, over TVCard receivers, gives you much more scope to control whole pc environment.

So you're saying, if I get a USB TVCard receiver, my Logitech Harmony may be able to connect to it in order to work with the PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom