Remote Setup Questions (1 Viewer)

mike0999

Portal Member
June 21, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

I am struggling to get MediaPortal configured to work with my remote the way I'd like and wanted to ask a few questions to which I haven't been able to find clear answers. If the questions have been answered in other threads, then I apologize. In that case, I guess I just haven't found the right thread yet. Do not hesitate to respond to any of my questions by pointing me to another thread if you are so inclined. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am using the latest beta 1.1 of MediaPortal.

I am using an ATI remote that came with an ATI TV Wonder HD 650 PCI Express card that I have installed in my system. As best as I can tell, the remote is an MCE remote. Don't know if there is an easy way to tell for sure. Looks like it is a re-branded Phillips remote. The IR receiver that came with this card is a USB receiver (and based upon some feedback from the IR Server Suite debug program, looks like it might be one of the iMon or eHome receivers I have seen referenced in a number of the posts. But, again, not certain. Are iMon and eHome the same thing?).

If I have MediaPortal open and operating as the active screen, the remote is working out of the box to navigate up and down in the MediaPortal menus and also to select menu items. The mute button also works to mute the system volume. As an example of the configuration that I am trying to achieve, though, the "back" button is not working at all (in spite of the fact that it appears to be mapped to the "escape" key on my keyboard and in spite of the fact that the escape key on my keyboard works to achieve the functionality I want when I press it). E.g. if I press the back button to try to go back to a higher level menu, nothing happens.

In order to configure, I see the configuration menus within the Media Portal configuration application itself and I also have been reading up on the IR Server Suite. Do I need to use IR Server Suite to configure (I candidly haven't figured out yet how to make that work) or can I do everything within the Media Portal configuration app?

In general, it looks like IR Server Suite allows me to assign remote functionality when my system is operating outside of Media Portal (e.g. if I want the remote to launch Media Portal from the main OS). IR Server Suite also seems to allow a lot of flexibility as a result of its client/server structure (seems very cool, actually). E.g. the virtual remote; in the future I'd like to figure out if I can use my laptop's IR receiver to control MediaPortal over my laptop's wi-fi connection. If I don't need that functionality now, though, then is the simplest approach to configure within the media portal config app? I ultimately anticipate that I will use the IR Server Suite, but I want to start with the basics to get even one key configured, and I haven't been able to do that with IR Server Suite yet. So, I figured I'd first focus on the configuration options within MediaPortal itself if they can do what I need.

I've seen posts, such as the following, indicating that I needed to install the My Keys plug-in to define new key functionality.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/how-key-pressed-working-remote-setup-72007/

Is that plug-in still needed? Or, can it's functionality be achieved within the MediaPortal configuration application itself? (I apologize if people view that as a unduly basic question). Given that the escape key is already a defined "action" within the MediaPortal configuration menus, not sure why I would need that plug-in to map my remote back button to the keyboard escape key. But, I haven't been able to get it to work.

With regard to the original poster's question at the link above, looks like the poster received feedback that enabled him to achieve what he wanted. But, does anyone know the answer to the original question that he or she asked? E.g. what numbers should be entered in the two fields identified? ASCII key codes?

I have read discussion about the "Replacement Driver" for iMON USB receivers. I've also read the discussion about that driver being unnecessary because the same functionality can be achieved through a registry tweak. Are either of these still relevant? Looked like some people still found them to be useful. Looking in my registry, I don't have the specified registry key to tweak. E.g. I think my USB receiver is controlled by the HIDusb dll (or something like that) - maybe that explains why there is no HidIR entry in the registry? I have an HIDusb key in the registry.

Note, in trying to install the "replacement driver," it says it is not the correct driver for my hardware. So, maybe my IR receiver is not an iMON receiver after all. Again, not sure.

If there is a decent, but relatively inexpensive, universal remote that people like to use with MedialPortal, feel free to point me to that, particularly if it might make configuration easier. But, seems like I will still need to understand the foregoing types of things. I currently have an All For One URC 9910, which I know can be configured using JP1. But, I haven't figured out yet whether or not there is any way to use that remote with this system.

I also have a remote that came with a Hauppauge PVR150 (or whatever that card is called). Looks like that remote might have more buttons than the ATI remote, but I am not sure if I can get that remote to work with this usb IR receiver, and I don't want to have the Hauppauge card in my system just to use that remote. I won't be using that card otherwise.

Is it possible to use the Hauppauge remote with the ATI USB IR receiver (or if people aren't familiar with the ATI receiver, with e.g. a iMon or eHome USB receiver)? If I know that it is at least possible, I can play around with the Hauppauge software to try to configure it. But, feel free to point me to any helpful background info or threads.

Again, thanks in advance for any help. Apologize for the long post.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Mike

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

iMON and ehome are not the same thing.
    iMON Remote is made by Soundgraph. Only some of their IR remotes/receivers are MCE compatible, however as far as i know they are installed with the imon drivers/imon software that comes with the remote.

eHome is the name of the driver that is usually is installed when people plugin a MCE compatible IR receiver.

So when you plugin the usb IR receiver, what driver appears in control panel -> hardware & sound -> device manger -> USB Devices

Also: you havn't stated how far you have got. Does your remote do anything?
    Maybe you can post some photos of your gear.

mike0999

Portal Member
    June 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi Kiwijunglist,

Thanks very much for your reply. The driver is a Microsoft standard system driver. Device type is listed as Human Interface Device. It doesn't say eHome, although I am thinking that the message I saw previously may have said eHome rather than iMon. For some reason I can't reproduce that message, though.

The driver files are all provided by Microsoft and they are titled hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys, hidusb.sys, and hid.dll. When I installed drivers from the ATI disk, it actually did not install a driver for the usb IR receiver. Seems that maybe ATI was assuming the system would install the driver. Maybe that all suggests that it is eHome rather than iMon?

I've got the MediaPortal system installed and working fine. Among other things, I am using the StreamedMP skin, last.fm, moving pictures, tv series, xmltv for grabbing EPG from schedules direct. Everything seems to be working relatively well, except for the remote.

The remote up/down and left/right navigation keys do in fact work within MediaPortal. The mute button will mute my system volume. But, none of the other keys work. When I press the power button, the MediaPlayer screen loses focus (i.e. it is no longer the active screen). But, those are the only responses I get.

I have attached a picture of the remote and the usb ir receiver. If you would like a better photo and/or any additional photo's, let me know.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Regards,

Mike

Attachments

• CIMG0014.JPG
      CIMG0014.JPG
      159.5 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I will try my best to help you, however i'm not an expert.

That remote is definitely not imon.
    I would guess that it's not an MCE compatible remote, because it is missing most of the usual MCE buttons

Since the arrow keys and 'ok' button works, you know that the remote drivers are working correctly. This is good, and it means you don't have to play with the drivers at this stage.

First step - HID Device

Load mediaportal configuration
    Click on "remotes" tab
    Click on "General HID" tab
    Add a tick to "Use General HID Device"
    Now restart your computer, run mediaportal see if the play/stop buttons now work.

Second Step - MCE Compatible Device

Reload mediaportal configuration
    Untick "Use General HID Device"
    Add a tick to "Use Microsoft MCE Remote or Keyboard"
    Now restart your computer, run mediaportal see if the play/stop buttons now work.

Third Step - 3rd Party Apps

Either involves trying a 3rd party app - eg. Girder / IRSS / HIP / LMRemote
    (or) use AutoHotKey to create your own script that remaps the buttons to keystrokes.

I think autohotkey would be best approach first.

Good luck,
    Mike

mike0999

Portal Member
    June 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Kiwijunglist,

Fantastic. Your suggestion 1 worked. It didn't get all of the keys working. But, it got the play, record, stop, pause, and back buttons all working. So that is great.

I will probably play around based upon your third suggestion to see if I can map other keys, but for now it's working well enough that my wife should be able to use it.

Thanks again. Regards,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom