Removing Menu Items from Aeon (1 Viewer)

TheMaestro

Portal Member
May 21, 2008
Okay, just a long shot to see if anyone can help me - what i'm looking to do is remove a few items from the Aeon skin, and is possible add one in, for the basic home screen. Namely, I'd love to remove TV, and music videos, and add in My Programs.

I've figured that the only way to do this is manually editting the basichome.xml, my original attempts have been less than successful. At first I tried simply removing the code referncing those buttons, but that appears to leave an odd looking gap that causes problems when the selection moves over it. I guess this is because the menu items shift around as selected, so removing one item causes the others to go out of alignment.

I'm far from skilled at this kind of editting, but am quite willing to dive in if anyone could point me in the right direction, someones who's got experience of editting skins in this was and may be able to tell me what else I need to do to make this work.

Many, many thanks in advance for any help! :D

Cj

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I haven't actually tried this, but I'm pretty sure this is correct. If you open up basichome.xml you'll see some different sections. First will be the backgrounds, then the static buttons in the upper right corner, then the good stuff - the buttons.

Each button should have 12 total occurrences (6 moving left/6 moving right).

If you just want to change what they actually do, you'll have to either change the hyperlink tag in those to what you want them to go to and then change the texturefocus/texturenofocus to a different image. You can get the window numbers needed for the hyperlink tags from the very top of the skin file for the window you want to go to.

Or, if you want to remove them altogether, you'll need to do a few things. Let's say you want to remove the movies button. Looking at the skin itself you can see the to the left and right of movies is TV and TV-SERIES respectively. Looking at one of the control entries for Movies, you'll see it's id is 98801 every time. Also, you'll see the onleft is 98811 and onright is 98702. Go ahead and delete all 12 entries for movies. Now, in doing that you've just now invalidated TV-SERIES's onleft tags and TV's onright tags. Scroll on down to TV-SERIES set of 12 entries and change every onleft to 98811 (the TV controls). Then, find the set of 12 TV controls and change it's onright tags to 98802 (TV-SERIES's controls). Finally, go back up the top and remove the background entry for the section that you have removed as there's no reason at all for you to be loading those images into RAM when you're never going to need them. Now you have a functional menu minus one button.

You'll also have to tweak the posX tags of the surrounding buttons to account for the fact that you've just removed an entire button.

Let me know if this works for you.

TheMaestro

Portal Member
May 21, 2008
jburnette,

Thank you for this brilliant and well worded explanation! I didn't get a chance to play with the AVPC last night unfortunately, but hoping to at some point over thye bank holiday weekend. You may very well be my saviour with this information!!

Cj

TheMaestro

Portal Member
May 21, 2008
jburnette,

Finally had a chance to give this a shot - thank you HEAPS for you input. :)

I still can't seem to get it to work. Any changes I make seem to turn the menu system into a bit of a disaster. i looekd at the XML code more closely this time, and my *guess* would be to do thi I'd have to work out the maths for each individual button and recalculate the appropriate xpos and ypos. I tried just shifting the values for all the following buttons along by one button widths value, but I ended up in a bit of a mess. Looking over the XML tehre's quite a few references to posititioning of each individual button - does romoving a button entirely then trying to compensate possibly fluff up the positioning references for all the other button?

I've decided to concede for now, and just accept the extra buttons. Still the most awesome skin tehre is for MP hands down!

Thank you again for you help though!

cj

tapedump

Portal Member
June 25, 2008
You'll also have to tweak the posX tags of the surrounding buttons to account for the fact that you've just removed an entire button.

Let me know if this works for you.
jburnette, do you mean the posX tags contained in basichome.xml?

Any pattern to how the -160,1120,800,480,160,0 and 1120,800,800,480,160,0 values should be adjusted?

timofcourse

Portal Pro
March 11, 2007
Home Country
**bump**

Did anyone figure out how to do this? I'd also love to be able to remove a couple choices from the main menu and would appreciate any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

Thanks!!

timofcourse

Portal Pro
March 11, 2007
Home Country
Ha... yea, my bad. Just noticed that sticky at the top.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom