Rename channel by name (1 Viewer)

jmuellers

Portal Member
August 20, 2010
Hi,
I accidentally renamed all my channels by SID. What I actually intended was renaming them by their name.. so now I have messed up, since that options seems to be missing.
Is there any way to achieve my goal, or at least to go back to where I started from?
TBH I don't even understand why someone would want to rename all their channels by a number, which is why it didn't even occur to me that this could happen when I clicked on it...
Thanks,
Johannes

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TBH I don't even understand why someone would want to rename all their channels by a number
    This page in the Wiki says the following about "renaming by SID":

This only makes sense if the channel names are inconclusive or non-existing.

Two ways to recover from your current situation:

(1) Manually edit every channel name to return it to what it was originally. If you expand the "TV Channels" window in "TV Server" horizontally, the channel numbers should appear on the right. Use these channel numbers to identify each channel (e.g. if I did this in the UK, might see channel "101", which I know is "BBC1 HD").

(2) Rescan your tuners. If you enable "channel movement detection", TV Server will retain the erroneous existing channel names (the SIDs), so you must disable that option. Unfortunately, this means that you will lose your recording schedule, since the recording schedule will refer to the old channels (I think; I am not 100% sure about that).

To retain your recording schedule, I think that the best that you can do is to export the recording schedule before rescanning the tuners, and then edit the XML export file to change the channel names to what they should be. Finally import the modified XML file.

So, you can bang your head against a rock, or you can bang your head against a hard place. The choice is yours.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

jmuellers

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    Thanks for your exhaustive answer, I went with option (2) and telling my father he has to reprogram his recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom