ReplayGain working correctly? (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have setup PureAudio with both the "Enable Replay Gain" and "Use Album Gain If Available" options.

I have noticed that when playing back some albums that volume is changing dramatically between tracks (say on some Pink Floyd albums where track merge into each other)

This got me thinking whether PureAudio is actually picking up the album gain or just using the track level??

If I open up the tracks (FLAC) in Foobar the track and album levels are shown as different values but is PureAudio using the right one??

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmm, need to check that. I had a report of this before but could not find any problem... Do you have a (debug) logfile? It shows what levels PureAudio is reading and using.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Hmm, need to check that. I had a report of this before but could not find any problem... Do you have a (debug) logfile? It shows what levels PureAudio is reading and using.
    Have not had time to look at this again in depth but I had a quick play and was unable to re-produce.

I will have another go at this if I get chance tonight and attempt to get some logs.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Guys, I was looking for information about how to configure this option and bumped on this thread - there is not that much to find about it.
    I'm would like to get this functionality to have music with the same sound-level.
    In the configuration panel, I have ticked the 'Dynamic amplification' box and have it on 'Soft' but not much seems te haapen - still loud and quiet tracks.

So is this option working or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

PeteA

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    Kent
    Home Country
    Wow thats interesting, I have never been able to get this to work either, Jameson how do you analyze the tracks? would love to get this working.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Wow thats interesting, I have never been able to get this to work either, Jameson how do you analyze the tracks? would love to get this working.
    I use MediaMonkey which will analyse the volume (not level volume as this actually changes the audio). Replay gain is stored for both track and album (so you can have a quiet track on an album) and is only metadata so can be ignored without changing the audio in the file.

I was suggesting that sometimes the album value is not being picked up and the track value was being used instead

PeteA

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    Kent
    Home Country
    Ahh thanks for the info Jameson, I will give this a try, different volume levels has been annoying me for a while now.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Guys, I was looking for information about how to configure this option and bumped on this thread - there is not that much to find about it.
    I'm would like to get this functionality to have music with the same sound-level.
    In the configuration panel, I have ticked the 'Dynamic amplification' box and have it on 'Soft' but not much seems te haapen - still loud and quiet tracks.

So is this option working or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

ReplayGain is the better way to go here. However you will need to install the PureAudio plugin to use that, MP standard does not support it.

You can also use the free software foobar2000 to tag your music.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi jameson_uk, no I didn't do anything since I had no clue.
    Now I installed MediaMonkey, found the 'Analyze Volume' option and noticed that after running it, the leveling changes for a track.
    So, do I select my whole library and analyze the tracks or how did you do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom