[REQ]Improve youtube - channels and playlist (1 Viewer)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Hello! I have a two big requests for improving youtube plugin:

1. Channels

Channel would be simple list of videos uploaded by one user. Possibility for sorting videos (like you can do on youtube) would also be nice. If you would also implement second suggestion, there could be "show playlists" button in "left menu", which would show playlist made by this user instead of videos.

There would be two ways to get to channel page:

• With searching. Separate channel search button would probably be best (easier to develop and easier to search)
  • In "video actions" menu, you would click "go to uploader's channel" and you would get to there

2. Playlist

Playlist would be shown as list of videos in one playlist. We don't need autoplay or other fancy features, but just a way to show all videos in playlist at one place, so we can quickly switch between them.

Playlists should be accessible from search and possibly channel pages

What do you think?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The YouTube site is based on what is available in the YouTube API and unfortunately it does not offers the query for a user's channel.
    The only "Playlist" currently supported is the User's YouTube Favorites, we could maybe enhance it to allow adding videos to Playlists of your YouTube account. Which are already listed I think?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The first link shows how to "search" for channels by a search term, it does not show a chance to get the channel of of a specific user.

Please note: I cannot add two extra buttons only for YouTube specific searches. The GUI for OnlineVideos must try to find a common ground for all websites. If a site offers as much as youtube, an extra plugin for all that functionality is better fit.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Been looking a bit more:
    What the API provides is an url for "All Uploads by a specific user" via "https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/username/uploads". But I think that's not a channel?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I have added now is a new contextmenu entry: "More videos uploaded by [name of the uploader of the current selected video]
    But will only be available with new version of OnlineVideos.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Sounds great. I'm currently using Youtube XL, but flash and remote does not go well together, so i would much rather use OnlineVideos.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    There is also no way to search for channels on leanback and i don't like the whole automatic video selection thing. Although i like idea of android remote and i wish it would exist for for youtube XL.

Here is what I'm trying to tell: sometimes i don't know exact name of the video, but i know which channel made it. So i simply find another video of that author, go to his channel page and find video that I'm looking for. Only Youtube XL supports this currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom