request: ability to stop/go back when stream is buffering (1 Viewer)

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
occasionally i find a stream which seems to load OK (as in, no errors are produced) but then sits there buffering forever, without ever progressing beyond 0%. when this happens, the only thing i can do is ctrl-alt-del and end mediaportal.exe, as the buffering stage never times out, and pressing stop or back on my remote doesn't do anything either - mediaportal is just locked in this page.

i've also sometimes found other streams which do actually load, but do so incredibly slowly, so after 10 minutes it's not even reached 1%, and again, mediaportal seems to be stuck on this page until the stream starts playing.

would be great if you could just go back to the previous page from this point, with the stop or back buttons on the remote, and try a different stream. thanks!

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: request: ability to stop/go back when stream is buffering

Feature is there:
    You can press STOP or ESC to abort the pre-buffering. You can also press PLAY to force the start of playback if buffering to your configured % takes very long.

BUT: If MediaPortal hangs (no wait cursor or wait cursor frozen), Onlinevideos already tried to start playback and the directshow graph hangs. In that case it's a bad codec that freezes MediaPortal and you can only CTRL ALT DEL or wait very loooong.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    wait cursor is still moving, pressing buttons on the remote results in the appropriate "click" noise, and if i press right to access the side menu, the side menu appears and i can use that as normal. but pressing stop or back or play does not do anything, other than "click".

would this still count as "frozen"?

and if it is a MediaPortal hang, would there be a way to avoid having to wait very long before it gives up? or is that a MP issue?

essentially, i don't really want to have to explain to my housemates how to ctrl-alt-del over the phone when i'm at work and they're watching iplayer :)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If it shows some % (even 0) and you cannot stop it as described, there is some direct show graph problem I guess. If I simply let you try to play anything else without cleaning that up, the next playback will make MP freeze.
    This should not happen too often ... if it does, you might have some codec problems.
    And : as you didn't attach logs... I can't tell anything only guess...

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    ok, thanks. i don't have logs because it's not happened since, when it happens again i'll be sure to get logs. the codecs i'm using are the SAF 5.0 codec pack available on the forums, and i have the default settings from the onlinevideo install (i believe it installs a FLV splitter). i don't have any other problems from the codecs whatsoever, in fact i use this codec pack because everything works perfectly with it - although i realize that doesn't mean they can't still be causing a problem here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom