[REQUEST] Software-based TV-tuner (1 Viewer)

mads

September 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I would love to recieve the TV-streams from my TV-server on any type of MediaCenter frontend. My problem is that my wife doesn't like the mediaportal client, but loves the interface in Win7 Media Center. I just don't like the idea that every computer in the house, has to have a hardware-tuner for watching live-TV.

To solve the problem - a softwarebased tv-tuner, that emulates a DVB-T tv-tuner.

In fact, the softwaretuner should just be a tv-client, that is identified by the operatingsystem as a DVB-T tuner. When you try to scan the frequencies for channels, the tv-client just runs through the channellist from the TV-server. Each channel from the tv-server is then mapped to a frequency in the software-tuner.

I don't have the skills to do the coding, but hope that somebody would find it interesting and pick up the idea.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I highly doubt that it is that easy, and i wouldnt wait for someone to solve it.
    What else can you do?
    Create a skin for mp that looks like MCE. ( My wife prefers that, too. But guess more the way it works then how it is designed )
    Use one powerfull MCE PC and a lot of extender devices,
    Have a look for a new wife :D

Jean-Marc

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi Mads!

I had the same problem!

The solution is to use a TNT ethernet tuner.

See HDhomerun (search google) and you will understand everything..
    You connect this double TNT tuner to your router AND to your MediaPortal TV server (it perfectly works with MP, there is a forum about that on the web site of hdhomerun)
    After that you will be able to watch TV on MP and, at the same time other channel on any computer or laptop (wifi or RJ45) with any soft (perfectly works with VLC)

Only limitation: impossible to watch encrypted channels because it is not possible to put any card inside.

Hope this helps and avoid to search for a new wife!!

mads

September 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for your solutions ;o)

The problem is that my TV-signal is scrambled DVB-T, so I can't use the homerun-solution.

It seems that I have to dig down into doing the coding myself if I want it done.

Anyways - thanks for your suggestions

KayDiefenthal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2006
    Germany - Bonn
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    in the win 7 ddk give it sw BDA tuner

Attachments

• Capture win 7 ddk sw BDA tuner.PNG
      Capture win 7 ddk sw BDA tuner.PNG
      228.3 KB

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To build a software BDA device driver which interfaces e.g. the stream from MP TV-Server you really have a tough task for the next year (or even longer)

The BDA architecture itself is quite complicated and you have to cover the following knowledge in detail to develop such a device:

- interface .NET remoting from C++ to start/stop timeshifting and get channel infos (currently not possible but BDA filters have to be written in C++)
    - stream ts files (quite a task in itself)
    - understand BDA and DirectShow architecture

I would say it's much much more easier to just use another skin for MP

mads

September 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Mads, I would recommend a new wife. It's just easier than upgrading MP.
    You are all probably right - at first it just seemed like a good idea to wrap a TV-tuner devicedriver around the MP-client TV-part.

Lolento

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Guys,

I really like this request! Perhaps a BDA driver solution is too much work.

How about a simple Media Center Plugin?

You can still get a clean interface in Media Center using this-
    Media Center Studio

All we need is a standalone TV Client exe that resembles the Media Center theme.

This should be a reasonable hack job right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom