REQUEST: Update MyEmulators database with external datafiles (1 Viewer)

quixote23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey -

So I love MyEmulators, it's a really solid plugin, but my one complaint about it is that there's no easy way to update your database - it has to be done by hand, game by game. I've tried Updating description, year and company, but as my ROMs are mostly NES and I have ~1,000 of them, my success rate in using the method described in that thread has been maybe 1/100.

What I'd like to request is the ability to automatically scan and update the MyEmulators database using an external database file - for example, the files linked to here at RomCenter. Maybe an option in the Games Database section of the Config tool to import a .dat file. That way, even if we don't have every single ROM covered, going in and manually updating a handful of files is a lot less daunting than updating thousands of ROMS.

(It would also be cool to get automatic updates of screenshots\titles as thumbs as found somewhere like Screenshot Archive but as they seem to host all the thumbs in zipped archives, that might be too tall an order.)

One last, very small thing... I have a feeling this has to do with the myEmulators.xml I downloaded for my skin (Mediastream) - but is there any way in Filmstrip view to keep the highlighting box in the middle of the screen, rather than scrolling all the way to the right?

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    The author is planning something similar:

:D for all the feedback and comments :)

I should focus on fixing the bugs and doing the pc games section before releasing this version on the website and as an mpi. When that is done, I will look at the feature requests, and will probably start with the importing/exporting of game meta data since it is a feature I have been wanting to do for a long time and there seems to be a demand for it. My plan is to at first do an xml based import and export function, as you suggested. After that, I'll provide access to an online database through the plugin (using my own webserver, and basically just automatically import the xml files from the online directory instead of manually specifying a path, and the export would update the database). The third step would be to enable you to access the directory from the a web browser, but that lies further ahead in the future and probably requires a new host etc.

I will extend the autoconf feature to cover 'use quotes in path' checkbox, working folder and emulator title. Probably in the next version.

Since I've rewritten the database, I decided to make a new file and unfortunately thet means it is not compatible with older versions. I state again that the DB of these SVN versions WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE with the released version, so you have to start over when the release is done. After that my goal is that you would never have to reenter anything agian.

The thumbs was a mistake, it now works as it did before with subfolders for game thumbnails. I'll upload it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom