requesting best MP/HTPC configuration (1 Viewer)

Are you happy with your current video playback in MP?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi guys,
i am using MP for half a year now and have invested a lot of time to figure out the optimal settings for playing xvid/divx and mkv/x264 files (both 720p and 1080p)

still today i do not know what the best/working settings would be especially with regard to hardware acceleration for x264/mkv files.

as i am using a vista system and ATI 8.6 catalyst drivers for my onboard GPU (ATI HD 3200), i am still wondering which settings are optimal. any best practices from your side would be helpful as this forum does not really have a thread with this kind of information.

if anyone of you managed to fulfill the following criteria, i would be happy to read your config details (which codecs you are using, using VMR9 or EVR, which display settings, which GPU/driver, which settings exactly in MP has been set):
1. hardware acceleration for mkv files
2. optimal quality playback of movies (xvid/mkv/blueray discs)

looking forward to read your posts, if there are any persons who can report successful settings ;)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    This is a very difficult question to answer - as it is personal preference for everyone.

I have the following and am very happy:

Codecs: PowerDVD 8, ffdshow, quicktime alternative, real alternative, halli (?) mkv splitter

PowerDVD is the Default player, but ffdshow or another is used if needed. Happens automatically.

Depending on the source material the refresh rate is changed.

For Blu-Ray I load up PowerDVD 8.

I am on XP so use VMR9. My Graphics Card is an ATI 3450.

Kian

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    revs
    and hardware acceleration is working for mkv files?

i agree that it depends on personal preference but maybe one can read success stories here and try out your settings and decide in the end which one works best for them.

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I had an ATI 3650 in my HTPC and playback was okay. Not great by any means. I tried an nVidia 8600gt and the difference is very noticeable. And it's cheaper too.
    I use the Cyberlink 8 codecs and ffdshow with excellant results. The BluRay and HD playback excellant as well.
    Also, with the 3650 I could only get 1024x768 resolution on my 60" monitor(looked really weird).
    With the nVidia the full 1920x1080 is available. Using 1200x1024 with large fonts for ease of use.

musa

Portal Member
    May 29, 2008
    Hi, I'm using Vista 32 and (I think) the same ati motherboard as yours, the one with the onboard ati hd 3200. Using 8.8 catalyst drivers.

For codecs, I'm using CCCP at the moment but I'm using a different ffdshow tryout version.

For a better idea of setting up ur codecs for video playback, you can try the MEDIAPORTAL codec guide
    I'm going to scrap CCCP and follow the guide because it does almost the same thing but the codecs/filters CCCP uses are not as updated.

For optimal quality playback of dvds (ie Mpeg 2) and divx/xvid videos, I used resizing in ffdshow to "upscale" them to my tv's native resolution. Works pretty well and better than normal upscaling dvd players imo.

I'm using VMR9 with Gaussian Quad filtering. EVR kills my OSD menu during dvd playback. Dunno why.

For h264/mkv playback, I'm not using hardware acceleration (since not all mkvs are encoded with HA capability). Instead I'm using Corecodec's latest version of CoreAVC for h264 playback. It's definitely one of the best (if not the best) software solutions for smooth h264 playback. In fact, I find no need for hardware acceleration since coreavc works best for me. But a decent cpu is required.

For HD DVD / Blu ray playback, I'm using Arcsoft's TMT (and Anydvd HD for decryption). So far I have no problems with it and I really hate powerdvd 7 and 8.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I'm using XP PRO SP2 and same mobo 780G with onboard ATI HD3200

Using catalyst 8.9 beta drivers.

I use MPC-HC with default settings, this gives me hardware acceleration for all the 720P/1080P H264 mkv files i have

For TV i use CoreAVC. I was using PDVD8 Ultra 2021 however we have interlaced channels and the hardware acceleration of interlaced channels unfortunately has a bug. However it did perform better than coreAVC, but i had to stop using it because of the bug.

All the other codecs are the default ones that come with mediaportal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom