Resize/Minimize/Full Screen causes MediaPortal to freeze when TV is active (1 Viewer)

mahrah

March 18, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

MediaPortal really works great on my system, I use it mostly to watch and record TV and it's great.

There is one issue which I wanted to mention here and ask for advice:

When MyTV is activated and TV is switched on and I attempt to change the window size in any way (resize, minimize, fullscreen, restore etc.), this causes MediaPortal to freeze or at least disable window refresh and I need to close it or kill it using the TaskManager.

It does not happen as long as TV is not active.

I've seen some bugs in the bugtracker which could be related to that but I just wanted to know whether this is an generic/well known issue or something which is specific to my computer/configuration.

Any advice is welcome.

Regards,
Randolf

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Win XP Home + SP2
CPU Type: Pentium IV 2,66GHz
HDD: Seagate 120GB
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: unknown
Motherboard Chipset: SIS648
Motherboard Bios: Award
Video Card: ATI X800 GTO
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 6.10
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppage WinTV PVR-150
1. TV Card Type: analog
1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.48.24227
2. TV Card: Medion 7134
2. TV Card Type: analog
2. TV Card Driver: 2.3.0.5
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD7
MPEG2 Audio Codec: PowerDVD7
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Marah,

I've seen the same behavior. The solution? Well, I just don't resize etc ;-)

Never got around to search for any solutions. I either run MP full-screen or minimize using Alt-F4, BUT I have to remember to stop TV. Otherwise it won't minimize properly.

Perhaps I could chamnge the command from the remote to minimize to also send a "STOP" command? Didn't think of that before...

/Peter

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Long time issue with VMR9, if anything video wise playing will lock system up. again always stop any playback prior to resizing as petsa said.

As this is a failing between directX using vmr9, cannot see it ever being resolved, but a lot of the impossible has been going on lately.:D

arjay

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Coin, Spain
    Long time issue with VMR9, if anything video wise playing will lock system up. again always stop any playback prior to resizing as petsa said.

As this is a failing between directX using vmr9, cannot see it ever being resolved, but a lot of the impossible has been going on lately.:D

Ray I had the same problem so thanks for the explanation.

However, I cannot play live tv in fullscreen in any way - for example if i choose "open MP in fullscreen mode" in the setup config. MP works fine every which way at "three-quarters screen" with the task bar at the top, but as soon as i choose fullscreen (even with nothing playing) I just get a black screen when I choose something from the tv guide, (BTW the little windowed picture in the tv guide is displaying just fine). It is only when i choose a program to watch (and I have fullscreen selected) does a black screen appear. It has not locked up, because i can back out to all the menus and exit that way.

I have searched here for something similar but found nothing. You are obviously very knowlegeable - can you offer any insight into what might be the problem or how I might chase it down?

I am running .2.2 on a win xp mce machine, with a haup pvr150mce card outputting to a regular tv, through a nvidia geforce 520FX card. If that helps any.

TIA

Richard

Also - GBPVR runs ok in fullscreen (but won't change cahnnels on a sky digibox so no good to me) and winxp mce also works fine but I prefer to use MP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Richard

"open MP in fullscreen mode" in the setup config. MP works fine every which way at "three-quarters screen" with the task bar at the top

No taskbar should be showing in fullscreen if selected (take it you have MCE remote use red button to toggle between small window and fullscreen).

three-quarters screen

Have you got normal\stretch selected in MP config\television, as original can have that effect, or is the MP window itself not showing as filling the TV screen.

Regards

arjay

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Coin, Spain
    Ray - sorry, I didn't phrase things very well. This is the situation:

1. If I have MP running in a window which is not full size, with the taskbar at the top, everything works just fine. As stated in earlier posts - if i then try and stretch the window in any direction, while a tv show is on, MP justs locks up, the picture freezes and I have to use task manager to shut MP down.

2. If I try to switch from an ordinary window to fullscreen while a tv program is showing, using the switch in the task bar menu (Ctrl-Alt-F??) I just get a black screen.

3. If I start off by setting up MP in the config program to open with MP fullscreen, I get the same problem. That is, MP opens in full screen and every feature works fine except for my tv. I can get as far as the tv guide with the windowed tv program running ok. But as soon as i click on the program in the guide to open it, I just get a black screen. As i said before, the screen is black but not locked up. I can see the mouse cursor and mve it around but no picture. I can back out to the main menu and exit without any problems.

At the moment I can't tell you if I have normal/stretch selected as i am recording the US Masters Golf and i ain't touching ANYTHING until that is done!!

Thanks for taking the time out to help with my problem.

Richard

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ray - sorry, I didn't phrase things very well. This is the situation:

1. If I have MP running in a window which is not full size, with the taskbar at the top, everything works just fine. As stated in earlier posts - if i then try and stretch the window in any direction, while a tv show is on, MP justs locks up, the picture freezes and I have to use task manager to shut MP down.

2. If I try to switch from an ordinary window to fullscreen while a tv program is showing, using the switch in the task bar menu (Ctrl-Alt-F??) I just get a black screen.

3. If I start off by setting up MP in the config program to open with MP fullscreen, I get the same problem. That is, MP opens in full screen and every feature works fine except for my tv. I can get as far as the tv guide with the windowed tv program running ok. But as soon as i click on the program in the guide to open it, I just get a black screen. As i said before, the screen is black but not locked up. I can see the mouse cursor and mve it around but no picture. I can back out to the main menu and exit without any problems.

At the moment I can't tell you if I have normal/stretch selected as i am recording the US Masters Golf and i ain't touching ANYTHING until that is done!!

Thanks for taking the time out to help with my problem.

Richard

This problem has been around for me ever since I tried Media Portal.
    I again yesterday played around with media porttal on a friends new PC and again same problem with lockups when going to Full screen when watching TV.

This is one of the main reasons I stopped using it. I tried everthing I could think of. I ended up thinking it was just my setup. Both systems are using the latest NVIDA driver on XP. My PC has a 6600GT Video card and the new pc has a 7600GT.
    I was quite amazed that it hasn't yet been fixed. To me it seems a major bug.

Markus

GuiGuy

Portal Member
    April 6, 2007
    Home Country
    I installed Mediaportal a few days ago. So far nothing but problems. I am now at a point where I can watch TV and change channels. However, I cannot change to full screen or resize the MediaPortal screen in any way. The moment I do it freezes:

TV-Server Version: ? Where do I get that info?
    MediaPortal Version: Latest stable (0.2.2?)
    MediaPortal Skin: ??
    Windows Version: Win XP MCE SP2 Rollup2 all updates
    CPU Type: 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
    HDD: ST3320620AS (298GB) X 2
    Memory: 2G DDR2-SDRAM
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-VM DH
    Motherboard Chipset: Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    Motherboard Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-VM DH ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7500 GT
    Video Card Driver: Nvidia 97.31
    Sound Card: Onboard sound - Soundmax HD Audio
    Sound Card AC3: as above
    Sound Card Driver: AC3filter
    1. TV Card: Dvico Fusion DBTV Plus
    1. TV Card Type: ??
    1. TV Card Driver: ?? Latest from Dvico (3.60?)
    2nd card smae as above
    MPEG2 Video Codec: tried Nvidia Puresvision, zulu, MPV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: tried nvidia, Dvico AC3, AC3 Filter, MPA
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: n/a
    HTPC Case: Silverstone LC20
    Cooling: ?? Excellent!
    Power Supply: Silverstone supplied
    Remote: Dvico
    TV: Chinei 19" monitor, Panasonic 50" Plasma
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

I have tried overlay and VRM, TV on and TV off. Makes no difference.

Any clues?

nybom

Portal Member
    January 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If it is of any assistance...
    I had the same problem in Windows XP. After installing Windows Vista Ultimate the problem dissapeared.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    If it is of any assistance...
    I had the same problem in Windows XP. After installing Windows Vista Ultimate the problem dissapeared.

Good, so we can blame M$ for that one, nice to know, pity they cannot fix on xp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom