Resolution issue (1 Viewer)

rpleasan

Portal Member
January 3, 2009
Hey there!

I have a Samsung PN42A410 plasma with a pc resolution of 1024x768. I just built a HTPC using the Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H system board. I am sending image and sound out the HDMI directly to the TV.

My problem: My images looks washed out and not as crisp as I think it should be. Granted, I just brought and configured my HTPC, plasma and Denon AV Receiver in the last month but I am expecting to get the same 1080i resolution as I see on DTV 1080i 16:9 cable shows.

DTV 1080i cable tv shows got me spoiled. The colors are vivid and outstanding.

Any way to configure my Catalyst ATI Control Center for the best resolution?

thx

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey there!

I have a Samsung PN42A410 plasma with a pc resolution of 1024x768. I just built a HTPC using the Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H system board. I am sending image and sound out the HDMI directly to the TV.

My problem: My images looks washed out and not as crisp as I think it should be. Granted, I just brought and configured my HTPC, plasma and Denon AV Receiver in the last month but I am expecting to get the same 1080i resolution as I see on DTV 1080i 16:9 cable shows.

DTV 1080i cable tv shows got me spoiled. The colors are vivid and outstanding.

Any way to configure my Catalyst ATI Control Center for the best resolution?

I have a similar board to yours, does it have the HD3200 on-board?

I've just set mine to the native resolution of my panel and it just worked! You might have to fiddle with the Catalyst control panel and force it to a resolution you know your panel supports.

You might also look at the overscan settings. I've set mine up to have 0 (zero) overscan, as having any overscan actually scales the image which could explain what you're seeing.

Regards.

Bigbird999

Portal Member
    February 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Same TV, same mobo, for me, the best picture is by VGA with desktop resolution set to 1024x768. These older 1024x768 plasmas use rectangular pixels to get a widescreen image from a 4:3 resolution. Your TV does not accept 1024x768 over HDMI so that is why I use VGA.

BB

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My problem: My images looks washed out and not as crisp as I think it should be. Granted, I just brought and configured my HTPC, plasma and Denon AV Receiver in the last month but I am expecting to get the same 1080i resolution as I see on DTV 1080i 16:9 cable shows

This may not be a resolution issue but a video level issue.

There are two standards for RGB video signals.

0-255 and 16-235

You need to find out what your TV expects and set your graphics card to provide it. A mismatch can either give you a really dark picture or a washed out picture.

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom