Restart of MP required for remote to function (1 Viewer)

mariusau

Portal Pro
July 27, 2008
Trondheim
Home Country
Norway Norway
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: Backdrop
Windows Version: Win7
CPU Type: AMD PHENOM TRIPLE-CORE 2.4
HDD: OCZ VERTEX 2 2.5" 60GB SSD
Memory: 2 GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3200 (integrated)
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: MPC
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: OrigenAE 14
Cooling: Scythe Ninja Mini
Power Supply: Corsair 450W
Remote: Logitech Harmony One
TV: Panasonic PV70
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I recently upgraded from MP 1.1.2 and WinXP SP3 to 1.2.0 and Win7. Everything seems to be working great except my remote, Logitech Harmony One, via IRTrans. When I boot my HTPC the remote won't work, but after I've quit and restartet MP it works like a dream and I can't figure out why.

Logs attached. Hope someone can help.

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi mariusau,

Not sure if I can help but I have and originAE microsoft remote and mini display (VFD and usb receiver) and sometimes have had a similar problem.

Does your setup use IR Trans?

I found that I had to hibernate the machine before the remote would respond. As I only do this anyway, this works for me. I think it mainly works OK for me now since the latest beta.

Your log shows many "[Debug][(13)]: SetThumbnails: nothing to do." I don't know what that means but my log shows none of those.

EDIT: After a crash and re-start this morning, I can confirm that this is default behaviour of MP on my MP client with the originAE remote. Only works after hibernate, restart of MP etc. I will try to add logs to help later (More likely on Tuesday). The remote works for power functions but this is firmware controlled I think so no proof that this is not an IRTrans issue.

Chris

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hello,

Logs attached from:
    Boot Windows, remote not working, exit, take logs.
    Exit MP then start MP again, use remote (works), exit, take logs.
    Boot Windows, Remote not working, hibernate, wake up Windows, remote working, exit, take logs.

May be of some use?

Chris

mariusau

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2008
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've taken a quick look on both our logs and it looks to me like the IrTrans server is not started when MP first is run. In your "no restart"log and my log the following lines are present:
    [Info.][MPMain(1)]: MAP: using custom mappings for IrTrans mediacenter
    [Info.][MPMain(1)]: IRTrans: Could not connect to server - server not started?

In your "restart"log the first line is present, but not the second one. So is there a way to ensure that IrTrans-server is running before MP is started?

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Well I don't think there is one as yet. I know MP can be set to wait for TV service though and also I think there was a delay startup by x seconds. I will try this ASAP and re-post if it works.

As I said, I am not too bothered by it but it may be something that devs find interesting.

I am off on holiday in a few days but will have some time in a week to maybe to play with different (older) versions of irTrans. I have had this problem for a long time so not holding out on an answer.

Chris

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hmm,

Interesting. I just installed that but only got basic navigation keys working until after restart of MP.

After this the Start/Home button also exited fullscreen. Deleting the parts of config files exlained here IRTrans - MediaPortal Wiki stopped this behaviour but now a restart of MP is required again for the remote to function.

Mariusau, could you check if you also only have limited remote functions please?

Thanks,
    Chris

pete0

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I had the same problem with my IrTrans installation.

The basic problem is, that when IrTrans Server is started via 'Autostart' what is the prefered setting, MediaPortal is started before the IrTrans server. One solution is to configure a startup delay in MP (for my system at least 13 seconds!), or to chose during installation of the IrTrans software to run IrTrans Server as a windows service. The last one has, at least on my system, the disadvantage, that changes in the IrTrans remote configuration file app.cfg are ignored. I had a configuration to remote control PowerDVD, but it only worked when I started the IrTrans server via autostart!?

Pete

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hi Pete,

That is interesting. Does that mean that deleting the section in config (apps.cfg) that normaly stops the double commands in MP is ignored as well when installed as a service?

As IrTrans is an option in MP (as in a supported remote setup), I think maybe there would be a change in MP code possible to iron out these issues. A 13 second wait on top of wake from hibernation using a slow old laptop drive may seem like an eternity!

Chris

mariusau

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2008
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Chris: sorry for the long responstime. Vacation...

Seems I was a little quick to conclude before my last post. Some more detailed testing showed that I had the same problem as you after installing the new version. So I removed it and reinstalled as a service this evening. As my girlfriend is using the TV I haven't had the opportunity to do thouroug testing, but I manged to borrow the TV for 10 seconds and remote seems to be working fine.

I will do more testing when she goes to sleep and will post results here.

Edit: Tested directional buttons, mediabuttons (play, pause, stop, skip), info, back. Everything seems to be working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom