AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Area: Media Portal Program
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2006-03-05)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: NVIDIA Audio Decoder
    Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Memory: 511 MB
    Motherboard: MK79G-1394 (AOpen)
    TV Card Model: Hauppage Nova-t (TT)
    TV Card Type: DVB-t
    TV Card Driver: 4.4.10.12
    Video Card Model: Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB)
    Video Card Driver: 8.191.0.0
    Video Card Resolution: 1024x576
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Audio Card Model: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
    Audio Card Driver: 6.14.462.0
    Synopsis::

I recently posted this message, but so far nobody has responded to it. With the latest CVS, resuming from stand by still breaks 'my tv' (MP hangs). I've done a few more tests since.

First I tried going into stand by and resuming with MCE2K5 itself, from the home menu with the TV stopped. The DVB-t card still works properly after the system resumes, which confirms the system itself is working fine, and that the problem is related to MP.

Then I went back to MP and used the 'devcon' utility to restart the dvb-t card after resuming, but before firing up MP's 'my tv' module. This made no difference, MP still hangs after selecting 'my tv'.

However, if I restart MP after the system has resumed, 'my tv' works fine again. I don't think a restart of MP should be required and this is also a bit impractical, as I've got a dedicated media PC with just the MCE remote (can't restart MP only from menu), and in the future I would like to start using powerscheduler to wake up the system for recordings.

I would appreciate it if somebody else could try the same scenario and report back. If it is a general bug, the dev team will hopefully look into it, as it would be extremely useful to have this working properly.

I can do more testing and/or post log files if required.

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi AberDino,

I use the PowerScheduler from MP here with Hibernation and it working without problems.
    You wrote that you plan to use PowerScheduler -> How you are going in stand by? If you are not using the function from PowerScheduler then MP will crash after the wake up.

Bavarian

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Hi Bavarian,

I put the PC into stand by (no hibernate) from MP's home menu (no modules active) using the power button on my MCE remote. I also wake up the PC using this button. From what you are saying this is not supported within MP?

At the moment I haven't got PowerScheduler active, but I will try as you suggest. I have noticed that the PowerScheduler configuration options have changed quite a bit since I last had a look at it. Would you mind posting your PowerScheduler configuration settings?

I've got a task running in the morning that copies the latest tvguide.xml from another PC to the media PC, and then imports into MP. I'm not using any power management options at the moment so this all works fine. On the task's properties I can choose to wake up the PC to run this task. Should that still work fine in combination with PowerScheduler? I presume PowerScheduler will take care of putting the PC into stand by again after the import?

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi AberDino!

You are right, MP will handle the shut down and also wake up MP automaticly when you have TV Broadcasts to record.

Here are my Config:

Bavarian

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Bavarian,

Thanks a lot for the info. One last question... what does the 'Forced shutdown' option do?

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi AberDino,

following my experience "resume from standby" is a very critical thing for MP. There was a time when it didn't work at all. MP did hang completely. Then it worked a while very good.

With the latest CVS'ses it is so so - at least for my configuration. Sometimes MP wakes up in home screen and works, sometimes it wakes up with black screen with sound on, sometimes it is in home screen and very very slow - impossible to use.

I would say it is an uncontrolled situation currently. It wakes up in some state ... and it changes from CVS to CVS.

I would suggest to wait until the 0.2 release (announced for 18th march). Then it should have at least a reproducable condition so that you can rely on something.

- don't confuse 'powerscheduler' (which works good) with the ability to standby and resume -

thanks&regards
    WeWe

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi AberDino,

the force shutdown options tells Windows not to get stoppped by running programms, this means it will shut down anyhow. I use this option on my HTPC, because some drivers otherwise stopping shut down process.

Bavarian

daveyboy

Portal Member
    March 15, 2005
    Reading, England
    I've also had problems with MyTV and resuming from hibernation in the past. My current solution is to use a little program calls StartOnWake. This detects when the computer wakes up then runs a batch file.

At the moment, this batch file contains a single command, which restarts the HTPC. That way I know that everytime the PC gets turned on it is in a clean state. Takes a lot longer to turn on than just resuming from hibernation, but it is finally working for me. 2 tuner cards both working - the WAF is way up!

BTW, I also use PowerScheduler, with setting almost identical to those posted by Bavarian.

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thank you all for your feedback, very useful indeed. I've now started using PowerScheduler and so far so good! The PC goes into stand by after the set time, I can wake it up with the remote, and all is still working fine after the system resumes. Thanks again for your help.

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I spoke to soon... PowerScheduler does not wake up my PC for scheduled recordings. The time for the system to resume before the recording starts is currently set to 5 minutes, with the actual recording to start 2 minutes before the scheduled time in the EPG. From the 'mediaportal.log' file it is clear that there is no activity at all when the recording should take place (i.e. the system remains in stand by mode). How can I troubleshoot this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom