RGB, YCbCr and Output Levels (1 Viewer)

xadox

Portal Pro
August 18, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have a ASrock E350M1 Mainboard with an AMD Dual-Core Processor E350/E350D and an Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310. The board is connected via HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma.

Now I want to setup the VGA driver correct to receive perfect colors. My plasma can handle the full 0-255 output range.

So acctualy in the Catalyst-Setup I will setup the pixelformat to YCbCr 4:4:4 and the dynamic range to 0-255.
Do I have to do something else?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi xadox

I think picture quality is mostly down to personal opinion. I usually turn off all post-processing (denoise, dynamic contrast etc.) and do only what is necessary to make colours (especially skin colour and bright colours) seem realistic without being "washed out". I also try to ensure good contrast (so black levels are good) without decreasing the brightness too much.

mm

xadox

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: RGB, YCbCr and Output Levels

I also turned off all post-processing. I only need to now if my choosen settings are right.
    So after that I will use my Spyder3TV to calibrate my plasma tv.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I also turned off all post-processing. I only need to now if my choosen settings are right.
    So after that I will use my Spyder3TV to calibrate my plasma tv.

Not as simple as that! Basically MS, video card manufacturers and codec writers can not agree on things so all sorts of stuff happens when it should not.

The only way I can get 16-235 out from 16-235 source is to actually set the video card to 0-255. If I use 16-235 it assumes the input is always 0-255 and compresses it to 16-235 leading to crushed blacks and grey whites.

Couple of bits of light reading...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...file-based-3dlut-colour-management-htpcs.html
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...rmat-video-dynamic-range-settings-thread.html
    avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1296137-calibration-question.html

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    You need to check that the desktop colours/greyscales are correct first - I use the Lagom LCD patterns - LCD monitor test images (the black level and white saturation patterns are really useful).

Then you need to find some grey ramp/grey bars video clips to check the video levels properly.

Tony

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    With ATI card, I'd go for RGB (full range) if the display supports 0-255 input.
    Be aware the luma range settings in video section of CCC only applies when DXVA is enabled, but I guess with APU platform you have to use DXVA anyway :)

xadox

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: RGB, YCbCr and Output Levels

Thx for the feedback.
    But I am still confused about the steps I have to do?

I am still not sure if I have to use YCbCr, RGB, 0-255 or 16-235?

Bevor I will read the "Greyscale & Color Calibartion for Dummies" it would be great if I have choosen the right default settings in CCC.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Thx for the feedback.
    But I am still confused about the steps I have to do?

I am still not sure if I have to use YCbCr, RGB, 0-255 or 16-235?
    It depends... what you really want is for the right levels to be output but the settings needed to do this can change with different driver versions, codecs, hd/sd (rec 601 vs 709) and player (particularly protected path stuff).

Eg I set up my system to output 0-255 in the Nvidia control panel for 16-235 input (all video sources will be 16-235) inside MP. I however use TMT for bluray playback and to get 16-235 output from the 16-235 input I need to change the settings in the nvidia control panel to 16-235.

You should read http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/blog/5-blog/8-getting-consistent-levels.html for some guideance

Bevor I will read the "Greyscale & Color Calibartion for Dummies" it would be great if I have choosen the right default settings in CCC.
    Excellent guide that is. Remember that it is based on video devices which output consistent black levels rather than PCs so you have the extra steps to figure out the whole pc settings (as you are finding out)

Basically you need to experiment to get it to work.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom