Rii Mini Keyboard & Mouse (1 Viewer)

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Thought this might be of interest to a few people here - the new Rii mini Keyboard & mousepad. It works on wireless, not RF, and has a discreet USB dongle that plugs in, and is detected straight out of the box on my XP boxes. The mousepad works well, and the whole device feels quite good quality. It's got a Li-ion rechargeable battery that claims a very good stand-by and usetime, but I have not tested it fully yet.

I have a working Logitech remote, which I love, but wanted something for the occasional use of wikepedia or internet browsing, or anything else where text input is necessary, and the onscreen keyboard navigation is a pain.

You can find more details via your favourite browser :)

MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
MediaPortal Skin: Xface
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
HDD: 3 x Wester Digital WD10EACS 1000Gb (RAID 1) & 1 x Wester Digital WD1600Js 160GB boot drive
Memory: 2 x 2GB Kingston (cheap stuff) DDR2
Motherboard: Asustek P5E-V HDMI L775 Motherboard
Video Card: Intel G35 Express Chipset
Video Card Driver: 6.14.10.5016
Sound Card: Realtek onboard
Sound Card AC3: via HDMI from motherboard
Sound Card Driver: 6.14.10.5016
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV C/CI
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: NET TV (Brazil)
HTPC Case: Zalman HD160-XT PLUS Case Silver
Cooling: Zalman CNPS8500 LED CPU Fan
Power Supply: ZM600-HP Heatpipe Cooled 600W Modular PSU
Remote: Logitech Harmony 525
TV: Sharp Aquos 42"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI to AV Receiver - to HDMI on LCD

Attachments

• Rii-Mini-Wireless-Keyboard_2.jpg
    Rii-Mini-Wireless-Keyboard_2.jpg
    34.4 KB

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi,
    @ finrudd
    I have the conflicts with regular keyboard shortcuts in MP. Everytime I press some letter which is defined as a keyboard shortcut it executes certain function and I just want to input a letter.
    Do you have any solution to this?

Regards,
    kesar

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Hi - that's a good point, and not one I have come across yet. I am only using mine when the on-screen keyboard is up, so for searching for entries in Wikepedia, or adding a new city in Weather plugin.

Can you describe when this is happening on your setup? For example, at what point are you using the keyboard to type normally, when MP is running?

In normal operation of MP I am using a remote control, but I do also use the Rii Mini Keyboard from time to time, and also use the backspace button to move backwards, 'b' for home etc etc. As mentioned though, when there is an onscreen keyboard up, and I want to type, pressing the letter b does not work as a shortcut that I have noticed, but rather just as an entry for that keystroke..

Are you running any third party plugin like shortcuttr that might be doing it?

Sorry - was away and didn't respond.

Yes - this is independent of MP, so you can start anything with this that you could start with a normal plugged in keyboard. I am today looking at keyboard shortcuts within windows so that I can restart MP - sometimes MP crashes and I want to restart it easily, which currently I do from another PC via VNC console, which is not wife-friendly. As the main Windows desktop is shown on my 7" case display, it's too hard to click on Start> Programs> Team Media Portal> Media Portal as I just can't see it that well from a few metres away!

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I'm using shortcuter plugin and IMON software for my iPAD remote. I don't know which one is causing this. From your description it seems it's iMON. I'm thinking about rewriting all MP shortcuts to use Alt+Control+[key]. Do you think it might help? It also might be a lot of work, so maybe there is another solution... Any advice?

I also use my touchscreen, but in this case there is no problem - all actions via screen. It requires to move from the sofa though... so no benefit from wireless keyboard :D

For your issue with restarting MP I have iMON+iPAD remote - there is application button with a list. It's really handy.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    OK, that makes sense then, as the Shortcuttr plugin is over riding everything, even when you are using the keyboard from something else. I also use iMon, but don't use the shortcuttr plugin any more, and cannot remember why it is I don't need it. It could be because I use a Harmony 525 remote, and assigned all the controls from the iMon Pad to that?

I'm sorry I can't help more on this, as it's been sometime since I used Shortcutr, but it does sound like that is the issue, as that directly maps keystrokes to MP commands.

Not sure if it helps at all, but I have just installed AutoHotKey which enables me to restart MediaPortal once I have exited it - something that I could never do since migrating from iMon Pad remote to the Logitech.

Scrounger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wow , looks very great.

Is it possible to customize the media keys of the keyboard. Or do they work only with WMP?

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I've not tried to be honest, but if you use something like a Hotkeys script, it should be possible.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I've found simple solution: just needed to tick Ctrl+Alt options in shortcuter and modify iMON keys configuration accordingly. Everything working fine now.
    Thx and regards,
    kesar

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom