Ripped DVD playback: no video, OSD doesn't display duration correctly (1 Viewer)

madscot

Portal Member
October 5, 2008
Can someone confirm if I should be able to get the following to work:

System:
Asus EEBox Intel Atom
1G Ram
80G HDD
MP RC 3 (same is RC2)
Windows XP SP3

Ripped DVD to C:\VIDEO_TS
From my Movies select .IFO, playback starts but no video (audio only).
Select .VOB file directly, playback starts but no video (audio only).
Rename .VOB to .MPG playback is fine but OSD shows incorrect length of video (0:00)
Tried using only inbuilt decoder and with FFDSHow same result
Tried daemon tools and playback of ISO but same thing

I've read the forum looking for an answers but no joy.

What I want to do is be able to rip a DVD from my collection to the HDD and then playback via MP? Anyone else doing this?

Finally if I play the same files using VLC no problems - works flawlessly. BTW the eeBOX is perfect for this application, slim (mounted to wall behind LCD TV), no noise and able to happily playback DVD's with 30% CPU load. If anyone wants more info / testing of eeBox then let me know.

Cheers

Madscot

surfermc

Portal Pro
May 7, 2006
Dorset
Home Country
England England
You should not need to select the .IFO or .VOB file to play the ripped DVD.
I suggest the use this structure C:\Movies\MOVIENAME\VIDEO_TS .You can then configure MyVideos to point to the C:\Movies and you should have a list of movies to play.

There are several different codec available I've never had a problem with MPV and MPA.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You should not need to select the .IFO or .VOB file to play the ripped DVD.
    I suggest the use this structure C:\Movies\MOVIENAME\VIDEO_TS .You can then configure MyVideos to point to the C:\Movies and you should have a list of movies to play.
    And if you save the DVD cover image as "folder.jpg" into the "Moviename" folder as described above, you will see it showing up in MyMovies. :)

djfiii

Portal Member
    October 12, 2008
    I'm having a similar problem with a new HTPC build. I have the following hardware:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H AMD 790GX AM2+/AM2 (onboard ATI Radeon 3300 DVI / HDMI out)
    AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz quad core
    4GB PC8500 G.SKILL RAM

I had Media Portal up and running on an old box just for testing, but that was a few months ago so probably pre 1.0 RCx

Basically, I already have a bunch of DVDs ripped to my hard drive, and already have my directory structure as follows:

Media > Movies > Genre > Movie Name > VIDEO_TS...
    Media > Photos > Year > ...
    Media > Music > ...

I configured Media Portal to locate my movies folder, and can browse successfully to any of my titles but clicking on the title - which in my previous build started the movie - now does nothing. I have all the current drivers for my hardware, and have all the codecs I could find - and ffdshow is set as the primary video and audio decoders. Can anyone suggest what I might not be doing correctly?

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

please post your log files
    (you can use MediaPortal logs collector located under Start -> Programs -> Team MediaPortal -> MediaPortal
    to get them).

djfiii

Portal Member
    October 12, 2008
    here it is. i looked at the error log, and it did indicate that it couldn't play the movie I was trying to open - but I have no idea why. thanks for looking!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Code:
    DVDPlayer9:Video Decoder = GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder
    thats not with MPV/MPA set as codecs in the DVD section of configuration, or?

djfiii

Portal Member
    October 12, 2008
    Code:

I'm sorry - I don't quite understand the question. Are you saying in config, I should set video codec options to GPL MPEG-1/2 ?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Code:

I'm sorry - I don't quite understand the question. Are you saying in config, I should set video codec options to GPL MPEG-1/2 ?
    1. MediaPortal Configuration
    2. turn on advanced mode in the top right
    3. select DVD section
    4. check which codecs are configured to be used for video and audio

for testing MPV and MPA would be good to be used.

madscot

Portal Member
    October 5, 2008
    Here are my log files.

I tried the D:\MOVIES\MOVIE_NAME\VIDEO_TS approach but same thing. Audio only - no video. Again VLC plays no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom