Ripping Format, Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

Tviewer2000

March 15, 2010
I just put together my first HTPC and was using WMC and while it works ok, I wanted something more. I stumbled upon this site from AVS Forums. Anyway....after reading raving reviews both here and there I decided I'd give it a shot.

I'm in the process of Ripping my DVD collection (around 300 movies) and I was wondering if I was going about it the right way. Currently I'm using DVDFab and converting to VOB format. It works, however it lacks fast forwarding, chapter skip, and WMC doesn't reconize the length of the file (the number of minutes on the slider). So am I ripping to a wrong format for the features I want? I have around 2T of space, but I think I'll be adding another 2TB since Blurays take up alot of space.

So my question is, what format allows me to have chapter skip, fast forward, and the abilty to see where in the movie I am. I'm not a fan of compression, since these are already not Hi-def and want to keep the best quality I can get. Also I saw that MP can show the movie details, rating, etc. I would like the full functionality of this as well.

M

mjmapi

MKV?,

I'm no expect but i think this is one format you can rely on for quality, audio and subtitles format integration.

But then again it comes down to choice

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
October 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
MKVs and use a tool called makemkv for you SD movies. It does no compression just repackaging.

As for you media management system, we all like MediaPortal here.

alank

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2006
    NJ
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I like to just make complete images of the DVDs, so ISO.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Remux DVDs with MakeMKV. Select the main movie, wished audio and subtitles track and you are done (including chapters). Better than ripping everything to ISO with annoying trailers or animated menus you can't skip and all the stuff that makes DVDs often annoying. Also great for TV shows as you have each episode in its own file.

For BRs use eac3to, extract what you need (transcode HD audio to multi channel FLAC) and feed the resulting tracks it into MkvMerge. BR's PGS subtitles need to be OCRd with SupRip first.

I ripped my whole DVD and BR collection this way.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why not just use MakeMKV for Blu-Ray's as well? The latest version supports the HD audio tracks as well as forced subtitles, a lot less effort than using eac3to and mkvmerge.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does MakeMKV do conversion to flac now? If not, then there's a good reason to do it the good old command line way.
    MakeMKV just re-muxes the audio and video streams into MKV, so no it doesn't do any conversion. What benefit is there to converting the audio to flac? I can't think of anything obvious, especially if your just bitstreaming to a receiver.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Does MakeMKV do conversion to flac now? If not, then there's a good reason to do it the good old command line way.
    MakeMKV just re-muxes the audio and video streams into MKV, so no it doesn't do any conversion. What benefit is there to converting the audio to flac? I can't think of anything obvious, especially if your just bitstreaming to a receiver.

Bitstreaming just isn't that easy. You need special hardware and the moon, sun and stars to align to get it working properly.

Flac and the madflac decoder simply works on all HDMI hardware. Plus you save a small amount of space with FLAC compression, not that space is expensive, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom