Sound Card AC3: Asus Xonar HDAV
    Sound Card Driver: Latest
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle 7010ix
    1. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-S and Dual DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest
    MPEG2 Video Codec: NVidia
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVidia
    h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 7
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Freeview (DVB-T) / Freesat (DVB-S)
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
    Cooling: Scythe Mini-Ninja
    Power Supply: Antec 300W
    Remote: MCE
    TV: Panasonic 42PZ80B
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I used to have this problem before but this SVN has made the situation much worse. When I resume from S3 TVService.exe CPU usage is at 50% and system becomes unresponsive. I suspect this is down to EPG grabbing. If you look at logs you will see that machine was woken at 18:00 and within a second of starting the EPG process had kicked off and there are errors in the tv server error.log.

I tried to stop the service with NET STOP TVSERVICE but was told the service could not be stopped so I ended the process tree and system returns to normal. I restart MP then tbservice kicks off again and CPU usage back up and system becomes unresponsive (to the point where the pointer takes about 30 seconds to get from one side of the scren to the other).

I am not sure if this is because some channels are on both DVB-T and DVB-S and it is the conflict with the new Feesat (DVB-S) EPG grabber which is now part of MP that is causing the issue?

As it looks like the only thing the service is doing at the time is grabbing EPG I have disabled most of the options but seems like a reboot is only way to solve.

Logs are located in
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-beta-1-454/wrong-filename-recording-72549/

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Could you check with task manager if the CPU load is happening in kernel or in user mode?

1) set View -> show kernel times
    2) open performance tab and check the kernel side usage (red line)

It could be DVB card's drivers. If the kernel time is not high (only few %) then please try disabling the EPG grabbing completely.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All red. I take it this means it is the drivers?

seems much worse on latest SVNs but will see if I can find better drivers

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I've been getting this too. For me, the "System" process goes to 100% utilisation (on one core), not the TV Service. When I check what is causing this using process explorer, it's the tv tuner drivers that are responsible. Killing the TV Service usually restores things to normal.
    This doesn't happen every time, but there seems no pattern to what causes it. Next time I'm at home when it happens, I'll update this post and add logs. It seems to happen around two times a week for me, but this also seems to depend on how much I'm recording TV at the time. It's hard to find firm patterns as it's not often enough to establish a link.

At least this may help isolate that it's something to do with the driver interaction.
    I have two tv tuner cards. Both DTV-T. One is a DVico, dual PCI and the other is a DNTV dual PCIe card. The issue seems to happen with both, as I can totally remove one and the issue occurs. Then I reinstall it and remove the other and the issue is still there.
    I've reinstalled Windows since and the problem persists. Until I read this post, I figured it was something to do with my installation as no one else seemed to have this issue. I was planning on going Windows 7 soon to see if that would help.

Anyway, logs will come soon, but I didn't see anything relevant in them when I looked a while ago.

Marcus.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    All red. I take it this means it is the drivers?

seems much worse on latest SVNs but will see if I can find better drivers

Normally that means bad drivers, as applications itself aren't running in kernel space. But it could be something in TVE3 side that gets stuck in a infinite loop and queries the driver constantly. I would suspect DVB EPG grabbing, so try disabling it first and see if you are still able to reproduce the issue. It is much more likely that the EPG grabbing would have such issue. Recordings are accessing the DVB HW (not directly, but thru the directshow filters from OS) only when starting and stopping the recording.

After looking at the logs in the other thread (recording failure):

2009-10-27 05:34:11.515625 [23]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.RunGraph(Int32 subChannel)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.Tune(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel)

2009-10-27 05:34:11.515625 [23]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.RunGraph(Int32 subChannel)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.Tune(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel)
    at TvService.CardTuner.Tune(User& user, IChannel channel, Int32 idChannel)

I would say that driver is not working properly as the graph cannot be started. I did have similar issue when my Floppy DVB-C was starting to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom