Operating System running the OS from a USB Flash Device (1 Viewer)

hey__me

Portal Pro
March 12, 2009
Is it possible to run Vista from a USB Key (say a 16GB key) basically a cheap SSD?
looking a power consumption, heat generation, etc.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If your motherboard supports boot from USB I don't see any problems in that. But remember that USB-drives doesn't wear evenly, so it may fail faster than any ordinary SSD-drive.

Should be relatively easy to test your proposal :)

photopeter

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: running the OS from a USB Flash Device

Hi.
    Sorry, but this don't work as Windows will NOT install on a removable disk at all. There are few USB Sticks that can possibly be modified by changing the "removable Flag" in it's firmware but no one ever can give you a guarantee. Most of the time nothing happens at all but in worst case you can destroy the stick.
    You can only install a "Live" Version like BartsPE ore something like that to a removable drive.

The "better" way is to use a CF Card with internal cf2sata adapter as this won't be recognised as "removable".

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

THX for info. 0.62 plugin version doesn't crash with MP 1.31 therefore, it seems to me to be little buggy...
    THX for info. 0.62 plugin version doesn't crash with MP 1.31 therefore, it seems to me to be little buggy...
    Started on: 2023-12-26 last update: 2023-12-26 Summary: Minimize the amount of data written to disk by simulating a tempfs RAM...
    Replies
    Views
    ??? :confused: Please, try with latest MP 1.33, not 1.30 and, all in debug logs to provide...
    ??? :confused: Please, try with latest MP 1.33, not 1.30 and, all in debug logs to provide...
    Hi Running MP1 - 1.39 for long while, no issues. 10th April [same time as 2024-KB5037036 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework...
    Replies
    Views
    I guess from this, that the mapping steps basically work. Please try to map some of the keys you mention to be not working and upload the log files afterwards. Maybe @Brownard can see something and a solution can be found. Please open a thread in the OnlineVideo section for this, we should not mix 2 topics in one thread.
    I guess from this, that the mapping steps basically work. Please try to map some of the keys you mention to be not working and...
    I am having trouble to make my remote control work correctly on MP2. Having upgraded from MP1 to MP2 where the remote using the...
    Replies
    Views
    I avoid touching that system as long as it runs. Now that 2.4.1 seems to run again, I probably wait for the next issue.
    I avoid touching that system as long as it runs. Now that 2.4.1 seems to run again, I probably wait for the next issue.
    Hi, I have just upgraded from MP 2.2.2 to MP 2.4.1, and now the client won't start. I see the splash screen, and then it just...
    Replies
    Views
    I had the same issue and found the executable under C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Titan\BasicHome.Editor\TitanEditor.exe Only the shortcut was missing.
    I had the same issue and found the executable under C:\ProgramData\Team...
    Hi all, Not a rant, more a sharing of experience (maybe hoping to get some clarification on which wrong turn I took) It has been...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom