running tv server on low-spec pc (1 Viewer)

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
Hey all,
Starting to think about installing a tvserver/client on my network. My server is fairly underpowered though - it's a celeron 900 w 384/meg ram, running windows server 2003. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried running the tvserver on a low spec machine, and if so, what the results have been like?

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Dual P3 500 w2ksp4 1GB and the server was fine .

Haven't pushed multiple recordings through it yet, though the new SVN looks good with multiple channels on a single MUX frequency.

They just need to get the EPG grab sorted!!!!!

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    As the TVServer only supports hardware cards right now, then there isn't really a lot for the server to do. As long as the cards drivers aren't completely pants, you should be able to get that server spec going just fine. If anything is going to cause problems it would be the minimal memory in there.

As a reference, i've heard of DVB-T card running under linux on just a P133 and not a lot of memory. Granted this was a very extreme case and had the very minimum of software installed and running.

dunkstar

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I've tried installing it on my Via 533 with 512mb SD and a Sapphire Theatrix 550 PRO hw card.
    When I start streaming my CPU goes to 100%.
    Idle is 2-5% as torrent and fileserver.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm using MySQL?

But it runs like crap on my server, no offence :)

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I've got almost the same VIA board, only with 800mhz processor, and the TVServer runs stable and does not use much CPU power, oh and I also use Mysql because of the VIA with MSSQL limitation...

dunkstar

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So either I have a crappy CPU or my installation is all wrong...
    Either way I think i'll invest in a Sempron 3000+ with 1GB DDR2 for server instead...then no problems with SQL Express :)
    And hopefully no problems with CPU :)

dunkstar

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    When I start Timeshift in manual control the TV Service uses between 50 and 70%, services.exe uses aprox. 10%, System process uses up to 10% and SetupTV.exe uses up to 10% so it's almost 100% all the time...
    And idle is max 10% (utorrent, AVG and Filezilla Server running)
    I've used the TV card in my main mediacenter and it uses 5 - 10% in all, but it's also a AMD 64 3200+, 1GB DDR.

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi. I am thinking of putting a dvb-t card in a 1GHz with intel chipset, 756MB and xp. Should I use mySQL or SQL Server express?

Will timeshift be possible with this low spec?

What is this via limitation? I also have a 600 with intel that I might use sometime in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom