SAF best FFDshow postprocessing setting (1 Viewer)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!

This thread is for dicusssing the best FFDshow postprocessing options for the new SAF 4.00 beta which includes FFDShow.

So if you've well working settings post them here.

IMPORTANT!
    Postprocessing does NOT mean to add any postprocessing into MP. SAF adds a new folder to your Startmenu where you can configure FFDShow Video settings. This is where you should start.

Stefan

DAx_dk

Portal Member
    July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Upscaling low resolution clips on a low spec. system

I usually get "all-right" results, with these settings:

Priority:
    1. Postprocessing on
    Just move the slider all to the right, and don't tick the "automatic quality control"(although it's tempting :D )
    Tick the "accurate deblocking", "luminance" and "Full luma range"

2. Sharpen on
    Choose "msharpen", "High quality"
    Under strength and threshold, you can play around with the sliders according to your preference. Some like it strong, and some like it subtle.
    I use Strength=100, Threshold=200 :D, but these settings can be way lower for your needs.

3. Resize & aspect on
    choose "Specify horizontal size" and specify your max. horizontal (in my case 1280)

and finally under "Queue & misc.", tick "Queue output samples" and untick "Use queue only in:"

Notes:
    Your CPU usage will increase more, when the source file is high in resolution. Solution -> play only low res. files :D
    Your CPU usage will increase more, when you set the Strength high. Solution -> lower the strength or choose a different method(xsharpen or unsharpe mask)

Place a tick in "OSD", so you can monitor your CPU usage

I have included my export settings, but be aware that if you use profiles in ffdshow, that it might mess up your current settings.

ffdshow_low spec upscaling.reg

EDIT:
    My specs. where I use these settings are on my laptop:
    Intel Core Duo T2050
    2GB RAM
    Intel GMA 945 IGP
    all running a Windows 7 RC

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    What the new SAF really does? It makes possible the miracle of using FFDShow postprocessing with DXVA aceleration or it just shut's down FFDShow when DXVA has to work?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What the new SAF really does? It makes possible the miracle of using FFDShow postprocessing with DXVA aceleration or it just shut's down FFDShow when DXVA has to work?
    Actually, I think it is neither of those - I think that when you add ffdshow post-processing, DxVA is disabled. In other words, if you want DxVA to be used, then you must not use ffdshow postprocessing.

Please feel free to correct me, if i am wrong ... ;)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah so this is only usable for XVID, DIVX and so on... if you use DXVA like me.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Taipan,

This is a quote from Hoborgs first post

post processing +video resize for all non DXVA material
    So how I interpret it is that only for non DXVA material postprocessing + video is used.

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I've installed the last beta here and now I see the advantage. Using FFDShow to decode XviD, alone, without postprocessing, is a big advantage over the previous version. When I started to use SAF I just uninstalled FFDShow from my system and started to use SAF for all the formats... My XviD playback with MPC codec was horrible... that thing looked almost like VCD quality, but I'm using XviD not so often and the h264 playback was so awesome... Now with this SAF 4 I trayed some XviD files and the diference is far bigger than I though... This weekend I'll start to try some tweaks with postprocessing and I'll post here my toughts.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Is it possible to use post processing, sharpen, level and so on and still get HW interlacing when outputting to the renderer?

Well, I can answer myself.. It looks horrible. :(

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm kinda lost in the codec jungle. Do you apply postprocessing to all SD sources? LiveTV, SD-movies, DVD etc....?

Can you set up all SD-sources to be upscaled with one setting, or do you have to do it over again for each format, such as DivX, Xvid etc....? If so, which formats should be upscaled/postprocessed?

I've also heard that the benefits of upscaling LiveTV is minimal, is that correct? Is it possible to use a splitscreen to see the differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom