Samsung 500 Gb - Head Parking Noise (1 Viewer)

semichco

Portal Member
July 23, 2007
Home Country
Does anyone else who has this hard disk have issues with head parking noise. It may be the accoustics of my case but it seems to excesivly park the heads of the drive (or at least i hope thats what the clicks are). The drive seems to be performing fine.

Merry Christmas All!:)

druffski

Portal Member
May 2, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Hi,

It could depend on how its mounted in the case. Most mount the hard drives directly onto the metal frame of the case. I've had minor success by putting foam/rubber between the hard drive and the frame. This reduced the noise a little, as well as the vibrations.

BBO

Portal Member
November 18, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Does anyone else who has this hard disk..

There are different types of Samsung HDs around.
I got two of the 500GB Samsung 501LJ 16MB cache SATA 2 drives,
there are also versions with just 8MB cache - the HD500LJ
I don't have any clicking noises with any of the HDs.

Tbh the last time I had some "click noises" was on a Seagate 205GB drive when it was new and shortly after that it crashed. Before I send it back to the manufactorer I formatted the HD and the "click" was gone (no bad sectors etc.) but the noise came back after a few days when enough data was on it. It was a manufacturing defect.

regards (and Merry X-mas),

BBO

semichco

Portal Member
July 23, 2007
Home Country
Ive never had a drive audibly park heads before apart from scsi 10,000\15,000 rpm drives, i guess thats
why i asked the question. The drive i have is a HD501LJ 16MB SATA 2. BBO if you have no clickng then i am a little concerned. Ill contact samsung to see if there are test i should run to ensure it is not faulty.

semichco

Portal Member
July 23, 2007
Home Country
i called samsung and they responded that it should not tick at all. I got a little worse today when i decided to do a defrag to test the drive out. The Hutil wont work for some reason. Utility comes back and says it is out of mem after creating the boot cd. I did a system checkdisk and it found nothing wrong...

The annoying thing about all this is i just got the system running how i wanted it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom