Satellite TV tuners (1 Viewer)

Manbearpig77

Portal Member
August 7, 2006
England
NLS said:
I am talking about neither.

I am talking about FTA sat transmissions that cannot be controlled by Sky or anybody (other than the companies that send the transmissions themselves)...

Imagine being channel "NLS", making a deal with whoever owns the rights of the satelite, to broadcast for free and then some "X" Sky company, getting paid for YOUR (among others) channel.

Hmmmm...

FTA is FTA. You don't pay once you don't pay annualy, you don't pay monthly.

Heres a quote I found on a website "If you do not have a Sky viewing card contact Sky and for a small one off fee they will give you a card for the encrypted but free to view stations on Sky. These include Channel 4 and Five."

I think sky do charge channels to use their satellite dish ASTRA, or at least rent parts of it, and maby the card thing is part of the deal.

Again I could be totally wrong, but I thought that was how it worked here in the UK.

Channel 4 and five are both free channels in the UK that have been around for years, you can get them the old analouge terrestrial way, and the new digital terrestrial way, but for satellite you have to pay. At least thats what I've come up with from all the research Ive been doing most of the day.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
don't confuse terrestial and satelite

a free terrestrial channel, doesn't mean it is free on satelite

for example in Greece most terrestrial channels, ARE also in the bundle of the major satelite provider here... you pay for the bundle and this includes those channels that ARE encrypted and NOT free (on satelite)

but a satelite has many REALLY FTA channels, those don't need any descrambling and SHOULD be able to be viewed with any sat equipment without any fee (else something smells bad)

Manbearpig77

Portal Member
August 7, 2006
England
Yup I see what you're saying.
These channels are free on digital terrestrial but you have to pay for them on satellite. Unfortunatly I cant get digital terrestrial where I am, so I have to stick with satellite and the one off fee for the "freesat" channels. The question is, is there a slot in the TV tuner cards to put this freesat card?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The Digital Anywhere sat cards have a built in cam (where your card goes) and fit in a DVD/CD size slot in the front of the PC and connects via USB.

If your in the south of England the small dish will suffice, Medium for Northern, Large for Scotland, to get good reception.

Have a look at Frodo's setup.

Manbearpig77

Portal Member
    August 7, 2006
    England
    Great stuff I'll check that out. Cheers :D
    I already had a dish and skybox with a freeview card in it, but not sure if the card will work in another device as if I remember correctly they code the card with the number on the digibox or something though I can't really remember as I got this about 6 years ago.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    All over Erope (and probably the world to be honest) there are two types of 'free' channels on satelite. Free-To-Air and Free-To-View

FTA channels are free and un-encripted. Anyone can tune to them with the right equipment.

FTV channels are encripted, but do not require a subscription, just the right decoder card. that can will usually handle all the FTV channels on the whole satelite

It's probably something to do with licensing. I've heard that some Canal+ channels are FTV, but they won't sell you a decoder card if you live in the UK. Which is a shame, they have some good programs and films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom