Scan Analog Channels Crashes MP TV Server! (1 Viewer)

Brash

Portal Member
July 28, 2009
I'm having trouble finding channels with my analog tuner that is built in to my graphics card. Actually it's more like it doesn't even give me a chance to find channels as it crashes every time i try a scan.

It is an ATI All-In-Wonder x800 XT

MediaPortal TV Server detects it as:

Analog Conexant 2388x Tuner

It's set up to scan cable tv. I have roughly 90 cable tv channels that are analog.
I have tried it with NTSC in the settings area and tried a couple of the frame size settings but i doubt that is the problem.

Then, when i click on it and click on the button "scan tv channels" i get the following error message every single time!:

SetupTV has stopped working:

it asks: "check online for a solution and close the program" or "Close the program"
clicking details shows this:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: setuptv.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.2.42498
Problem Signature 03: 4a04b3f5
Problem Signature 04: System.Windows.Forms
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4889dee7
Problem Signature 07: 4cc1
Problem Signature 08: 5e
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentOutOfRange
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

-------------------------------------
I also have a digital pci atsc/qam (64QAM - 256QAM)tuner that i can't figure out yet but i want to fix the analog one first since i have more analog channels. The digital tuner doesn't crash it though. It does actually try to scan but it never finds anything. Just mentioning it since you may see a digital tuner in the log files listed as well.

System specs:

Vista Ultimate SP1
2Gig ram
2.60 ghz intel pentium dual core
Ati All-In-Wonder x800 XT
(also have: GeniaTech X8350A ATSC/QAM HDTV, but that doesn't work either)

Using Cable TV signal terrestial, NTSC
Cable provider: HTC. (Horry Telephone Cooperative) (www.sccoast.net)

Software: MediaPortal Stable Release
V1.0.2
Using MySQL 5.0 server
codecs: K-Lite Mega Pack (lots of stuff) v 5.0.5

I know these tuners work as they are fine in a couple of other programs like TotalMedia and i think BeyondTV. but never any luck finding channels with MediaPortal or Windows Vista Media Center (one that comes with Ultimate)

hell, if someone knows the answer that gets me up and running i may paypal you like 10$ for helping out(only to whomever is most significant if i get too many answers, or if multiple people say the same thing then it's first-serve basis.). otherwise i'm getting on the verge of just getting a different card that does work with mp.
This really makes no sense how i can have two totally different cards that it doesn't work with.

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    My guess is the K-Lite codec pack has installed competing codecs. I'd first uninstall that and try SAF. I see that it can't load an audio decoder in your tv.log file. Anyway, give that a shot and report back.

Brash

Portal Member
    July 28, 2009
    well, i might try testing that for the hell of it between the next major release of k-lite since it's recommended that we uninstall before installing the next major update to that package.. but for now i use it for too much.

however, i dont see how a codec has anything to do with the detection of channel signals. that seems strange to me. i understand that codecs would be used afterwards to turn what it sees into a file when recording but why would it use k-lites codecs in the Media Portal TV Server settings area where it is just looking at frequencies?

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Codecs are for testing if something is on a stream and if it can be decoded or not. As you can see by your logs that MP is complaining that it can't decode the audio channel and therefore gives up. You can see that here in your tv.log: 2009-08-14 15:09:52.260603 [6]: analog: failed to add audio compressor. you must install a supported audio encoder!

Brash

Portal Member
    July 28, 2009
    i would think mp would have prefered k-lite for it's codecs. it almost sounds like it's not really a matter of a incompatible codec but rather a missing codec.

specifically which one is it looking for.. or should i say prefered. maybe there is one inside the k-lite pack that i didn't install due to it not being a recommended one. Just because i selected the Mega pack with Lots of stuff, doesn't mean i installed everything it had to offer. Perhaps there is an audio codec i havn't installed from that pack that MP would like and would work?
    I'm trying to avoid switching packs.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    i would think mp would have prefered k-lite for it's codecs. it almost sounds like it's not really a matter of a incompatible codec but rather a missing codec.

specifically which one is it looking for.. or should i say prefered. maybe there is one inside the k-lite pack that i didn't install due to it not being a recommended one. Just because i selected the Mega pack with Lots of stuff, doesn't mean i installed everything it had to offer. Perhaps there is an audio codec i havn't installed from that pack that MP would like and would work?
    I'm trying to avoid switching packs.

You may find sticking with K-Lite is actually more time-consuming than using something specifically tailored for MP. Your best bet is either SAF or FFDSHOW. SAF is definitely easiest in my experience.

On a personal note, my htpc's all have SAF for mediaportal and then VLC for any other media playing tasks (because it has internal codecs therefore no clash with MP). Its also very handy for testing files as VLC is much better at playing badly encoded or broken media than MP is. Ive found this the easiest setup and the most hassle-free. This wont work though for anyone who uses specific codec installations for encoding tasks though.

Galaad45

Portal Member
    May 23, 2009
    Hi,

I encounter the same problem : A crash when attempting to scan for analog channels.
    Is it a problem of codec ? I use Ffdshow so I guess it should work...
    I have a hybrid card : AverTV Hybrid super 007.
    When I use their program (averTV or something like that), I am not able to find any analog channel neither.
    But the digital channels are found without any problem (in this case as well as in the case of mediaportal).
    I prefer not to uninstal Ffdshow because I have already customized the preferences...
    But if it is the problem...:(

M

mjmapi

I had the same problem and i found out it was my tvcard drivers, after trying different drivers i was able to scan for new radio/tv signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom