Scanning ATSC with HDHomerun yields no channels (1 Viewer)

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I think I've covered all of the bases. I've installed the software for the HDHomerun (downloaded latest from the silicondust website). I registered the hdhomerun_bda.ax file through the command line. The TVServer can see both tuners on the HDHomerun. But when I do a scan, it will not find anything.

In detail, it will report "No Signal" when scanning a channel which in fact should have no signal. However, when it scans a channel which DOES have a signal, it will say "Nothing Found". I can assure you that the hdhomerun does work. I can get big signal strength when using the silicondust hdhomerun utility in windows (one of the TV towers is 1/2 mile from my house...I can pick it up with a paperclip for an antenna). I've also used this same hdhomerun in mythtv and it shows video there. The issue seems to be scanning. From other posts on this forum, it sounds like others are using an hdhomerun just fine. Why would I be unable to find anything?

I tried this scanning with the 5, July 2007 SVN and same date for the TVserver. Tried it on this Vista machine, and I also tried it on an XP machine. Same result.

:D

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
TV.log shows this:

Code:
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B atsc:Tune:tv:  Freq:-1 ONID:-1 TSID:-1 SID:-1 PMT:FFFFFFFF FTA:False LCN:10000 phys:12 maj:-1 min:-1 SR:-1 mod:ModNotSet audio pid:FFFFFFFF video pid:FFFFFFFF
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B dvb:Submiting tunerequest Channel: subChannel:0 
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B dvb:Submit tunerequest size:1 new:0
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B subch:0 OnBeforeTune
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B subch:0 OnAfterTune
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B subch:0 OnGraphStart
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B subch:0 RunGraph: already running
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B subch:0 SetupPmtGrabber:pid FFFFFFFF sid:FFFFFFFF
8/2/2007 9:51:49 PM B Scan: tuner locked:True signal:100 quality:45
8/2/2007 9:52:29 PM B Scan Got 0 from 0 channels

I'm not exactly sure if this is telling me what is going wrong.

FreQi

Portal Member
June 10, 2007
Home Country
I just installed Vista Ultimate with SP1 and installed the HDHomeRun divers with the new firmware update that came out today (hdhomerun_windows_20080305.exe). I have 2 HDHR's and I have each sucessfully complete a channel scan and working fine with VLC. One is set up to do ATSC (Over-The-Air) and the other is on QAM (DigitalCable). When I do a channel scan wih TVServer, was am also getting the "No Signal" or "Nothing Found" messages.

On a hunch, I went to the Control Panel and disabled the windows firewall, and now it appears to be finding the channels on both of them.

It sure takes a lot longer than the HDHRsetup utility... but hey, if it works, at least I only need to do it once.

I also got the same "Nothing Found" message if I had "QAM HRC" selected instead of "QAM HRC+3". I don't really understand the options so I am just shooting in the dark right now.

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
Disabling the firewall did work. I'm still using the Feb 08 firmware. As for QAM, I can not test that.:D

Also, just to throw it in there....

Whenever I can in some ATSC channels, I always disable EPG grabbing for them. Also, they always show up as scrambled channels, so I go into the database and change them to Free to Air (I'm using TVServer). This could just be me, but it seems to speed up channel changes and what not.

Hooray, recorded ATSC seems to be fixed!!!!

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    I know some other people who use the HDHomeRun device with no issue (at least none that they have reported) why not search on the keyword "HDHomeRun" in the forum to see if there maybe any steps or instructions in a posting. Or at the very least you might be able to PM (Private Message) to some people that have successfully used this product with MediaPortal.

GarySeven

Portal Member
    October 10, 2007
    Taylorsville, Utah
    Home Country
    I also had the problem of the channel scan reporting adequate signal strength but no channels found. I traced the problem to the tuning parameters files not containing the definitions of the channel frequencies and modulation type for ATSC. I put Whurlston’s ATSC.ota into the Tuningpararmeters directory, and after changing its extension to .qam, the channel scan found all the local channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom