[no Bug] Scheduled recording of first programme on channel stops TV (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.2B
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win7 Ult 64
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 2TB Samsung F4
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD6950 2GB
Video Card Driver: 11.4
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.01.6299
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD10
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Scythe 120mm Bottom Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: OCZ StealthStream 400W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I was watching BBC1 and a scheduled recording on BBC3 started, which caused LiveTV to freeze. The scheduled recording was of the first programme broadcast today on BBC3 (at 7pm, with the lead-in set to 3 mins in config), so it appears that something about the signal broadcast (or lack of signal) before actual programmes begin might cause this behaviour in MP. Certainly trying to play BBC3 at this point resulted in an error message. Checking in TV Server config showed that the recording was proceeding fine however, and I was also able to Timeshift BBC3 on my other tuner without any problem from there.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    This is by design
    Code:
    2011-06-24 18:57:11.968111 [scheduler thread(10)]: scheduler: recording failed, lets try next available card.
    and yes BBC three is a right pain for this.

In not nice but is not a bug. Unfortunately it is very difficult for MP to know if the tuner could not tune because the channel was warming up or because there was an issue with someone's aerial/dish. IIRC there is an option to turn this off in setup that will stop it trying on different tuners and just keep trying on the same one

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Fair enough. You're quite right that there is an option to tell MP to only try one tuner for recording, but I'm reluctant to enable this as there are probably other occasions when I might have two recordings scheduled and I would want them to use both tuners and stop LiveTV if necessary, so I'll just have to put up with this quirk, which will probably be less of a problem overall.

It's only 'cos Glastobury's on at the moment that I've got the first programme on BBC3 scheduled to record!

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Fair enough. You're quite right that there is an option to tell MP to only try one tuner for recording, but I'm reluctant to enable this as there are probably other occasions when I might have two recordings scheduled and I would want them to use both tuners and stop LiveTV if necessary, so I'll just have to put up with this quirk, which will probably be less of a problem overall.

It's only 'cos Glastobury's on at the moment that I've got the first programme on BBC3 scheduled to record!

You can adjust the schedule to have a 0 minute pre-record time and that should fix it.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

To be fair, if it fails, it should keep re-trying, so it should actually record. This was fixed a while ago.

Mark

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country

You can adjust the schedule to have a 0 minute pre-record time and that should fix it.

I'll set it to 1 minute, as BBC3 starts to transmit a signal 1-2 minutes before the first programme, so that should fix it and hopefully it's still enough to avoid missing the start of any other recordings. I imagine programmes are more likely to be late than early anyway, so it's probably more important to have a few minutes post-record set.

Hi,

To be fair, if it fails, it should keep re-trying, so it should actually record. This was fixed a while ago.

Mark

Yeah it does record, it was just confusing why LiveTV stopped as I have two tuners, but I understand now.

Actually, what will happen if I set "Maximum free cards to try" to 1 and enable "Allow server to stop LiveTV when no free card is available"?

Will it then just keep trying on one tuner until BBC3 starts transmitting, leaving any LiveTV working? And if I've got two scheduled recordings and am watching LiveTV, will it still stop LiveTV if necessary with these settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom