Scrambled Picture (xvid Related) (1 Viewer)

Neddy

Portal Member
June 28, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
Video Card: ATI Rage 128
Video Card Driver: 6.13.3279.0
Sound Card: SIS 7018
Sound Card AC3: ?
Sound Card Driver: 5.1.2535.0
MPEG2 Video Codec: ?
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ?

hi, have been using this pc for playing media a while, its just for playing divx/xvid's and just got an mce remote for it, so decided to try out media portal, it works ok but some videos dont display properly, there seems to be 3 pictures all diagonal, i cant seem to get a screenshot of the full screen so all i have is this from the little preview window...

scrambledvw7.jpg

i get perfect sound on all videos ive tried, and perfect sound from music, so its only a video issue...

im pretty sure its a codec problem but i just cant figure it out :/

previously i had nothing other then divx, xvid and ac3filter and what ever else windows media player installs, i have uninstalled all the additional codecs and installed FFDshow (as it contains divx ect..) and still get the same...

just checked with gspot and all the videos that work are divx and the ones that dont are xvid...

all these videos work perfectly in media player, i dont understand why they arnt working in media portal ?

any help would be appreciated...

thanks

Neddy

Portal Member
June 28, 2007
Home Country
bump

i have just reinstalled windows xp pro, updated completly (as i had it before) installed divx codec only and im still having the same problem, but now i have the problem in media player...

so should i install xvid? i think that might fix it in media player..

but what xvid to install ?

Neddy

Portal Member
June 28, 2007
Home Country
i have just install that and it works perfectly in media player, its exactly the same in media portal..

its as if media portal doesnt know that the codecs (xvid) are installed

is there anything special i am ment to do with media portal to tell it to use these codecs?

ive looked through media portals config screens but cant see anything obvious

cheers

EDIT:

just restored windows from a point before i installed any codecs or media portal, now ive just installed what it says in the docs..

still no joy.. but still everything works perfectly in standard media player...

this is only a media portal problem... it isnt using the xvid codec for some reason...

Neddy

Portal Member
June 28, 2007
Home Country
could this be a video card issue?

ive installed media portal on a friends new media system (not new but new to him) and these videos work perfectly..

his is a dell optiplex gx150, with a ati radeon 7000 (for tv out), all the same updates and codecs as mine... im using an old rage 128 pro..

i have an old radeon 8500 lying around im going to try but not sure wether it will make any difference...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    ATI Rage 128

You beat me to it, chances are the graphics card cannot handle MP and the video file at the same time, so worthwhile trying a better card that is DX9 compatible ie FX5200 Nvidia or a 9550 ATI.

Neddy

Portal Member
    June 28, 2007
    Home Country
    i know i have a 8500, which is dx8, but i think i have a 9600pro somewhere too which i think is dx9.. not sure though :/

will try both when i find them :)

Neddy

Portal Member
    June 28, 2007
    Home Country
    found my r8500 plays videos fine (after editing ffdshow config to get colours right)

the problem is that when tv out is plugged in the computer doesnt boot, spent quite a few hours today playing with different drivers, flashing the bios on the 8500 and messing with settings..

ive given up with the 8500 idea now and putting my rage 128 back in...

need to find my 9600pro, although that may act the same is this stupid 8500

:( :mad: :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom