[confirm] Screen corrupted after turning TV on/off (1 Viewer)

Razorblade

Portal Pro
May 22, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello MP team,

after turning my TV off and back on again while MP is running the MP screen gets corrupted. Seems as if it's being shrinked to 4:3 and pushed to the left.
As you can see on the screenshot, the Windows desktop displays fine - there's no aspect-corruption.

So I have to kill MP and restart it.

TV is connected to my HTPC via HDMI.

Edit:
My MP settings are:
Start in fullscreen
Keep MP always on top
Hide Windows Task Bar while MP is running

Attachments

• screen_resize.png
    screen_resize.png
    377.3 KB

Razorblade

Portal Pro
May 22, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi msj33,

yes the issue you posted sounds similar.

I have a Yamaha Receiver between my HTPC and my TV.
Turning the TV off and back on again did work with Linux - so this doesn't seem to be a receiver/TV/HTPC issue.
This also happened with a NVIDIA card - so I think this isn't driver/hardware related. As the Windows Desktop displays fine I think this is MP related.

Maybe a mod could merge the two threads.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The commonality appears to be that everyone affected has an Onkyo AV reciever.

I have a Yamaha AV receiver ;)

The issue pops up when ever some external device manages to tell wrong resolution to the GPU and that causes Windows to change the screen resolution.

Since MP's Skin Engine is a bit limited what comes to handling into resolution changes it might be a bit tricky to fix the issue that the external components (mainly some AV receivers) are causing.

If someone sends me a amp that has HDMI capable input (and is able to trigger that bug) I'm more than happy to fix the issue. Such amp would be coming extremely handy since I'm working on a custom audio renderer and I have no multichannel capable (HDMI required) amp to test anything with mutlichannel support...

gryphonnz

Portal Member
    June 30, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hrm - It should be possible to reproduce this issue without a reciever - I'll try this weekend.

In the meantime, can we get the status of this thread updated from [confirm] to [bug], as I think we can all agree that we're dealing with a MP bug here..

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hrm - It should be possible to reproduce this issue without a reciever - I'll try this weekend.

In the meantime, can we get the status of this thread updated from [confirm] to [bug], as I think we can all agree that we're dealing with a MP bug here..

Actually I would call this a missing feature, since MP hasn't ever been designed to cope with dynamic resolution changes. Similar missing feature is that the amp is not able to keep the correct resolution / display mode when the connection to the display device is lost. Both are (bad) design choices.

alexirion

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    St. Georgen im Schwarzwald
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And what is, if the AMP is switched off (my Cambridge Audio 650R then also disappears in the system). Is it also a bad design choice, to switch off all devices at the end of watching a movie?? Clearly a bug for me, when Media Portal is able to shrink but not to grow anymore.
    --Alex

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I know this is a "topical discussion" - as to whether it is a bug or a feature, but I do know it is affecting quite a few people (including myself).

I was hoping it may have been addressed in RC5 - but there is no mention of it as a bug?

Is there anyway to get MP (maybe from the home screen/menu) to automatically check the resolution and resize itself?

It would be great if it could be looked at for the final release.

Many thanks, :D

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom