[Videos] Screen resolution negotiation (per file) (1 Viewer)

Neoculture

Portal Pro
November 20, 2011
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
Started on: 2011-12-15
last update: 2011-12-15

Summary:
Negotiate screen resolution with the display device (TV, monitor, etc) no a per-file basis

Area:
Videos

Description:
Currently, there is an IFC function which allows MediaPortal to negotiate the refresh rate with the TV, on a per-file basis. However, the screen resolution remains fixed at whatever was first negotiated at boot-up. Which means that (in my case) a DVD-quality video will be displayed with a screen resolution of 1080, which causes aliasing to appear.

Most HD TVs these days have pretty good anti-aliasing features, but they only trigger if the TV believes it needs to use it.

I have recently moved to MP from using a Western Digital WDTV running the home-brew WDLXTV firmware and it had a feature which I found useful:
- per-file screen resolution negotiations.

Every time a video file is being played, the firmware queries the video stream to find its resolution, then negotiates with the TV (or similar device) to attempt to display the video at native resolution (and refresh rate). On my set-up, this meant that both the media-player and the TV were in agreement as to the resolution of the video being played and the TV's anti-aliasing kicked in, making for a smoother picture on-screen.

Yes, it meant about an extra second's delay when playing a file if the option was turned on in the media player, but the uptick in video quality was worth it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom