ScreenControl plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (1 Viewer)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
Here it is, a plugin to open windows automatically and/or to change screen related settings!

Highlights:
  • ability to switch between different screen modes and resolutions using 3rd party applications (e.g. ATI Catalyst Control Center)
  • jump to defined windows inside MediaPortal on selectable conditions after self defined time periods
  • speech recognition to open windows
  • adjust the brightness of connected monitors or displays to defined levels and/or turn it off completely
  • restores the original brightness, if a user interaction (e.g. mouse, keyboard or remote control) was detected
  • protection against the "screen burn-in" effect
  • development functionalities to refresh MediaPortal caches and to create screenshots
Important Information:
  • the screen brightness functionality depends on your video card and/or driver capabilities (actually only ATI Radeon, NVIDIA and Intel GMA video cards tested)
Installation:
  • download and start the suitable installer file "ScreenControl.mpe1" from the download repository
    or
  • download and extract the attached file "ScreenControl.zip" from this post (MediaPortal v1.6 and above) and copy all required files to your MediaPortal directory manually (see manual below for detailed instructions)
Language Support:
  • english, german, french (thx to azzuro), italian (thx to azzuro)
Latest Changes (for a detailed version history, please consult the attached manual):
  • v1.7.0 – rework of configuration dialog, minor enhancements
  • v1.8.0 – functionality to share settings and profiles added, support for MediaPortal v1.12.0
  • v1.8.1 – rework of message management routines, improvements to sharing functionality, maintenance
  • v1.9.0 – support for plugin framework v1.4.0, support for MediaPortal v1.13.0
  • v1.9.1 – maintenance release, support for MediaPortal v1.14.0
  • v1.10.0 - re-compiled release, deconstruction of not working functionalities, support for MediaPortal v1.15.0 and higher

GUI Screenshots.JPG

This is a stable version and was tested with Windows 7 and Windows 8 only, please report any bugs in this thread.

If you would like to show your appreciation and also help me to continue to provide free software please make a donation by clicking here. Thank you.

Attachments

• ScreenControl for MediaPortal.pdf
    957.7 KB
  • ScreenControl v1.10.0.zip
    4 MB
Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
ScreenControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.3.0

Dear community,
this plugin was updated to version v0.3.0, now it contains the desired functionality (see this thread) to jump to a screen after a defined timeout period.
Thx to PussyWagon for this idea, I hope you like it.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Re: ScreenControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.3.0

So if I understand correctly, this plugin will allow the "NowPlaying" screen to go into "Fullscreen visualization" (for example) after a defined time has passed? Awesome!

Edit: After reading the .pdf, I realize how it works, and I have a feature request:

Option to "Ignore brightness setting when fullscreen visualization is in use"

It would also be very useful to set conditions for different screen jumps. If music is playing the fullscreen visualization could start instead of dimming the brightness for example.

Emph

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi emph,
    thx for your interesting ideas, I want to realize this in the next 2 weeks.
    Currently it would be very helpful, if you can define some useful conditions for your daily use. This is the best solution to understand the behavior of a MediaPortal users. All other users are also welcome to post ideas or conditions.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

I usually use playlists for my music and then go to Music Playing Now screen (look at Cover, perhaps lyrics etc.). As I have a Plasma TV, I have the MediaPortal screen saver (blank screen) activated. Preferably while music is playing, instead of blanking the screen (using the screensaver), the Fullscreen Visualization (musicFullScreen.xml) would be activated after a set time instead of just blanking the screen. But if I leave MediaPortal on without playing music, the brightness function of your plugin would be activated instead.

Did I understand your request or do you want me to make a picture of how the setup would look like in the plugin?

Thanks!
    Emph

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi Emph,
    attached you can find mockups for new setting dialogs, currently in this version you can select between "nothing", "Home", "Basic Home", "Playing Now", "Visualisation", "Fullscreen Video", "Fullscreen TV" and "self defined.
    Which other target screens are helpful for you (ok, I can see "Playlists") ? If you take a look to the mockups, does this fit to your expectations?

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Hi Emph,
    attached you can find mockups for new setting dialogs, currently in this version you can select between "nothing", "Home", "Basic Home", "Playing Now", "Visualisation", "Fullscreen Video", "Fullscreen TV" and "self defined.
    Which other target screens are helpful for you (ok, I can see "Playlists") ? If you take a look to the mockups, does this fit to your expectations?

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

*Applauds*

I would like to have another box in the second (brightness) screen with "Prevent changes only when Music Full-screen visualization or video is active". Because this way the brightness can dim the screen ONLY when there's a better option (visualization or other full-screen media) available. This could be a "fit-all-scenarios" option. This could be checked by default, and the user wouldn't even have to setup this part initially (unless one so desires to).

For LCD/CRT users though, having the screen visible (never dimmed) with Now Playing can be nice, therefore the "ignore when music is playing" option is still a valid one.

:D
    Emph

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I would like to have another box in the second (brightness) screen with "Prevent changes only when Music Full-screen visualization or video is active". Because this way the brightness can dim the screen ONLY when there's a better option (visualization or other full-screen media) available. This could be a "fit-all-scenarios" option. This could be checked by default, and the user wouldn't even have to setup this part initially (unless one so desires to).

For LCD/CRT users though, having the screen visible (never dimmed) with Now Playing can be nice, therefore the "ignore when music is playing" option is still a valid one.

Hi Emph,
    sorry, I'm a bit confused.
    If I understand your idea with "Prevent changes only when Music Full-screen visualization or video is active" correctly, you would prevent brightness changes, if a fullscreen window (Visualisation, Video) is open. Because you have checkboxes, you can create combinations (for your idea the checkbox "prevent changes, if visualisation is displayed" and "prevent changes, if video is playing" must be selected). In my opinion, this is a valid solution for your idea. Correct?

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Yes, that would be very nice thank you.

Emph

PussyWagon

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2008

WOW, I have totaly missed your update with automaticly jumping to a defined window! This is really nice, I will try it out as soon as I can... :)
    With the possibillity to jump to Playing Now, is it also possible to have it jump to this screen ONLY when media is playing otherwise it will jump to homescreen?
    I mean, there is no need for it to go to Playing Now if there is no media playing... :)

Best regards and a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom