Codecs SD quality...? (1 Viewer)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have a strange problem. HD material is running exellent. I have NVidia 8400 GS with that new chip G98 which has full HD support. Allthough I cannot get SD material to run as smooth and interlaced free as HD material. I've tried so far Cyberlink 9 SD coded with and without DXVA, Sonic, ffdshow,DScaler 5, mpc, archsoft, NVidia purevideo, Nero, Other Cyberlink versions. No luck.

For example with material that has some text rolling in bottom of the screen text is suttered and interlaced somehow.

So i need help, what others has to say about SD codecs. Which is best codec for SD and with what settings.

regards,

Chimen

Portal Pro
    July 11, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I also have problem with this.
    Horizontal scrolling text is really bad even though my refreshrate is set to 50 hz.
    I also have a Nvidia card. (8600)
    I've also played around with a numerous of codecs with and without dxva and nothing seems to help.
    SD-television has always played smoother in DVBviewer for me.
    It's not even comparable to my set top box.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    +1 on this, PAL TV with scrolling text is stuttering a lot. If anyone finds the golden formula, let me know ;)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Come on people, where are the system specs (te3hpurp excepted), display settings (720p/1080i/1080p display), OS (XP/Vista), renderer (VMR9/EVR), video card driver versions etc ?

If you want sensible suggestions, post more information...

If you hit shift+1 on the keyboard (when running full-screen video), is the moving line broken or solid ? What FPS is reported ?

Have you used GraphStudio - 'connect to remote graph'- to check if MP is actually using the selected codecs ? (you can also find out how the codec is connecting to the renderer too - normally it needs to connect via either DXVA or NV12/NV21 to get hardware deinterlacing - right click on a codec in the filtergraph to open the property pages).

Tony

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    MPEG2 LiveTV - Cyberlink "CLVsd.ax" + DXVA = perfect deinterlacing and playback.

Check graphstudio, mostly useless Microsoft MPEG2 decoder is in use until you unregister it...

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Check graphstudio, mostly useless Microsoft MPEG2 decoder is in use until you unregister it...

You know that XP doesn't contain the MS MPEG2 codec? Also that codec is not that bad at all.

Bad experience remain in me from Vista and there are MS MPEG2 decoder, right?
    MPEG2 decoder with DXVA ON is important becouse of HW deinterlacing.

There are screens: SW VS HW deinterlacing

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Bad experience remain in me from Vista and there are MS MPEG2 decoder, right?
    MPEG2 decoder with DXVA ON is important becouse of HW deinterlacing.

True that DXVA is required for good deinterlace (althou ffdshow has pretty nice software based deinterlace available, was it kernel?).

MS MPEG2 decoder is DXVA supporting codec.

Chimen

Portal Pro
    July 11, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I will post more details tonight after work.
    But I don't agree that Microsoft Mpeg2-decoder is useless. Great picture. Just as good as powerdvd codec.
    And I have checked with graphedit wich decoders are being used.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    True that DXVA is required for good deinterlace (althou ffdshow has pretty nice software based deinterlace available, was it kernel?).
    FFdshow can do hardware deinterlacing too if you output the the right colorspace (NV12 for ATi cards).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom