Seeking sometimes makes MP thrash the disk and hang up (1 Viewer)

Have you experienced this specific issue?

• Yes, I've seen MP thrash the disk and hang up when seeking in Recorded TV

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, I've neved had MP hang up like this

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

markius

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Maidstone, UK
Home Country
England England
TV-Server Version: 1.0 + 01-23-2009--22-00
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 + 01-23-2009--22-00
MediaPortal Skin: BlueThree Wide
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
CPU Type: Pentium M 760 (2.0GHz/533/2Mb)
HDD: Seagate 300Gb 7200RPM SATA 150
Memory: 2GB PC2-4200
Motherboard: MSI Speedster-FA4 (MS-9625) [Intel 915GM chipset]
Video Card: ASUS EAH3450 512MB
Video Card Driver: 8.573.0.0 (Catalyst 9.1)
Sound Card: Intel ICH6 HD Audio / Realtek ALC880
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.5772 (R2.14)
1. TV Card: BlackGold BGT3540
1. TV Card Type: 2xDVB-T/Alog, 2xDVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: 6.0.0.39
2. TV Card: Nebula DigiTV PCI
2. TV Card Type: 1xDVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: 1.1.1.1
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF 3.40 (w/PowerDVD)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF 3.40 (MPC - MPA Audio)
h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2°E & Eurobird 28.5°E
HTPC Case: Antec Aria
Cooling: Stock
Power Supply: Stock
Remote: MCE (mk 2)
TV: Samsung 26in LCD LW26A33W
TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D

Hi all

Has anyone else experienced a problem when seeking within a recorded TV show that results in disk thrashing and a nearly unrecoverable lock up of MP?

I can't say for certain but it seems to happen when seeking within long recrodings (>2 hrs for example) or when seeking withing short recordings if there is a long recording happening in the background. For me the long recordings are usually radio recordings.

I've seen this issue for long time... at least as far back as 1.0 RC3 but figured it was just my system however now I've build a new system and I get the same problem.

I'd be grateful if you would vote either yes or no and if you know more about this issue let me know.

:D
Mark

markius

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Maidstone, UK
Home Country
England England
It did this to me today. It was even reproducable so I got some nice clean logs :)

I started MP (debug mode)
Navigated to Recorded TV
Started playing something
Seeked once (+10 minutes)
Seeked again (+3 minutes I think)
MP froze and started to thrash the disk. I left it for a minute or so after which it returned to the Recorded TV menu
I closed MP to generate the log bundle

I can upload the .TS somewhere if you want but it's big (~1 GB)

Let me know what you think.

Mark

hjbaard

Portal Pro
April 25, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I have no log, but I have experienced a similar problem. I was watching a recording when suddenly it began to stutter. I thought it had something to do with a bad recording so I tried to go forward but then the MP hang and corrupted my harddisk. The index was corrupt. I had to do chkdsk to fix it :-(

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have no log, but I have experienced a similar problem. I was watching a recording when suddenly it began to stutter. I thought it had something to do with a bad recording so I tried to go forward but then the MP hang and corrupted my harddisk. The index was corrupt. I had to do chkdsk to fix it :-(

Applications itself cannot corrupt file system (if they aren't accessing the file system's internal data which MP / TVE3 isn't) , so it has been some other issue (like chipset driver bug, hard disk starting to go bad).

This is not related to the seeking issue.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mark

Logs tell me nothing, but they might to someone else, is this a new hdd your using and is there any antivirus or antispyware installed that may be live scanning, if so tell it to ignore recording\timeshifting directories, also make sure any software supplied by motherboard manufacturers is disabled, ie Asus Splendid, because it ain't ;)

hjbaard

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It could be antivirus (McAfee) or antispyware (Microsoft defender).
    I don't have Splendid, or something else installed :)

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Mark

Logs tell me nothing, but they might to someone else, is this a new hdd your using and is there any antivirus or antispyware installed that may be live scanning, if so tell it to ignore recording\timeshifting directories, also make sure any software supplied by motherboard manufacturers is disabled, ie Asus Splendid, because it ain't ;)

Logs didn't tell me a lot either except that on the second seek TsReader spent a long time (~1 minute) doing this:
    Code:
    19-02-2009 19:46:51.803 [384]vid:isseeking:1 0
    19-02-2009 19:46:51.823 [384]vid:isseeking:1 0
    19-02-2009 19:46:51.844 [384]vid:isseeking:1 0
    19-02-2009 19:46:51.864 [384]vid:isseeking:1 0
    19-02-2009 19:46:51.885 [384]vid:isseeking:1 0

There's no AV installed on this machine only the stock Windows Vista stuff like Defender which I'll check the settings on later. The only vendor provided software that's installed is the ATI Catalyst drivers for video and Realtek driverapps for audio.
    I'm currently at a loss as to the cause of this. I might hook up a second monitor and see if FileMon reveals more detail when I get some time.

Just for reference the system has 2 HDDs (one dedicated to recording) and both are reported as "Good" by my S.M.A.R.T. monitoring software. There's also no reported issues with NTFS so I'm confortable that this is an applicaition issue - not necessarily MP acting alone though :)

Cheers all
    M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom