Self Contained Web Server / Interface (1 Viewer)

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
June 8, 2007
Home Country
Hi All,

I am not sure where to post this, but I see some similar posts here.

I have written a web server / interface for MediaPortal TV Engine that allows me to log in and schedule recordings and check recordings etc.

It is a self contained web server, so no additional web server software is needed.

It can be configured to run on any port. so it can run separate to any existing web servers.

I would appreciate some people helping me to test it in diferent situations.

Sorry, but it is only for MS operating systems (should work fine on Vista or XP)

*** All Downloads and Documentation can now be found at ***

mp-web-interface - Google Code

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i hust had a look at your manual, and i am very impressed! :)

hopefuly i will have some time to check it out during the weekend.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey,

I'm already using your Guide downloader (it's very, very good by the way) and I've just installed the web server.

So here's some feedback:

In the great tradition of computer programmers (users in general?) I downloaded the setup guide but did not read it ;)

I eventually did, and that's when I went back and added a new user to MSSQL.

I think the web server should have big bad error messages when you fail to set up a new user for the database. Instead it fails to work properly, but doesn't tell you why...

I don't have a program to read pdf files on my TV Server machine, so when I neglected to untick the readme option in the installer it came back saying that it couldn't launch the pdf and then that the program failed to install. So maybe the installer needs some error handling around that ... but really, not a big issue.

Setup was pretty easy, but some default settings in all the boxes would be nice. I know there is a manual, and the manual is great, but you know people don't read those things. I know this because having written software I am now doomed to forever answer the same questions (which have been answered in the documentation) over and over for all eternity ...

So it might be a good idea to include some mysteriously worded prompts in the installer that will tell people to read the setup guide ... something like "Before proceeding, please ensure you have followed step 2 in the setup guide" ... This not only tells them that there is something they need to do, but it tempts them with the unknown "step 2" ... Yes, I'm a little crazy, but you get the idea. Or just a popup tooltip on the server username box that says something about it being separate to the TVServer database username.

For me the TV Guide screen only shows one channel, I've attached it to this post.

The Recorded Programs screen works, but the Scheduled recordings never loads. I click the button and it never comes up. I noticed that the web interface process on the server maxes out the cpu when I click on "Show recording schedule" and the recording schedule never shows up.

I uninstalled the web interface and re-installed it, but it didn't fix it.

Is there a minimum version of TVE3 I need? I'm running a post RC1 SVN, but it's probably a month or so old now...

The fact that all the screens are customisable is fantastic, and I'm sure it wont be long before either you or someone else redesigns some of the screens to make them a bit fancier. I would like to see the TV Guide screen look more like this:

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/TV/static/MelbourneNight.html

Which is a website I use quite often to find out what's on tv. Note: I use firefox with adblock to remove all the junk from the above page.

I know that this web interface will only improve, as I've seen the good job you've done on the guide downloader.

Thank you for your efforts, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

mruane

Portal Pro
    June 4, 2006
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great Work Big_Kev. The installation was flawless and the instructions very clear. The application started first time and just worked. Well done.

A nice option might be to have a drop down containing the dates that we have EPG data for so that you can go straight to a specific date, but that's just a nice to have.

Cheers Mike

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Could you do me a favor and try it in Internet Explorer?

Your attached file showed up corretly in IE7. I may have to brush up on my HTML - especially for FireFox.

Kev

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just did a quick too and found one problem:
    - The guide isn't shown correctly with firefox. It's only shown correctly in IExplorer
    Really great work :)

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    This is very very nice!!! Maybe this could replace the official one that was canceled if nobody was working on a new one yet...

lordwinder

Portal Member
    October 17, 2005
    Great job. Very usefull and simple.

I have two advice.

* When you enter into the guide go to current time if it is possible. Another possibility may be a red line marking the current time.....
    * Order the channels ussing the column "sortOrder" from the channels table.

Great job again. Thanks....

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great guide, just set it up now (I use SSH & tunnelier to remote desktop to home).

Tried scheduling and seemed to setup ok, I'll find out whether it worked or not when I get home. Also setup my router for remote access to the web server and that works fine as well. I can confirm the EPG doesn't format properly in Firefox currently as well though.

Keep up the good work. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom