selling mediaportal!! (1 Viewer)

admin

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 1, 2001
    AW: selling mediaportal!!

nope, they dont sell MediaPortal but HTPCs with MP preinstalled/configured. They are also pretty active here so thanks for notice but everythings fine. ;)

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes we're selling just the MP Configuration (and Hardware ;)). Mediaportal is for free and opensource, thats clear and we tell it to every customer.

You have to know, that there aren't only "freaks" like us. There are also people who need their sleep, and don't want to spend this time in front of their htpc's to find out the best configuration. For these people it's an great offer to get a preconfigured htpc.

Note: We're very active here in this form. And when we change or extend something (linke skinfiles e.g.) we publish that stuff also here.

MfG
    Simon Wüllhorst - LH Computer GmbH (center-pc.de)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hey, I find it really cool that you're selling a MediaPortal + HW combo to users who just want an out-of-the box htpc experience. Out of curiosity, how is the perception of MediaPortal in comparison to W7 MediaCenter (which is also offered)?

I do think you should make it more clear on the Homepage that you are using a seperate free Software (MediaPortal) because if I didn't know that before visiting your site I would think you're selling your own software. But if the MP team is ok with it who am I to judge... ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I do think you should make it more clear on the Homepage that you are using a seperate free Software (MediaPortal) because if I didn't know that before visiting your site I would think you're selling your own software. But if the MP team is ok with it who am I to judge... ;)

Actually it is not only MP's team to judge :) Every one who has been contributing code under GPL (users sending patches, MPC-HC and other open source projects that GPL based code is used in MP...), if anyone of those persons see that GPL lisence is violated they can act and MP team cannot stop it.

I personally dont see any issues on that, althou the home page could be stating it a bit clearer that the MP is free from URL x. Also modifying skins might require permission from the skin authors since those aren't under GPL (I wonder why they haven't been published under creative commons lisence...).

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tourettes &@DieBagger:
    We are currently creating a version for Win7 unsing MP (we're using Win XP at the moment). If this process is completed, we will renew our homepage. Then we'll make it easier to see, that Mediaportal is a free GPL-licensed software.

Till now we've used Aeon Wide Skin (and have create skinfiles for that skin), but this skin is sadly outdated.

PS:Is it possible to switch this thread to german section?

lg cilla

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh, I couldn`t load the images which are included at the description.

But there are some other guys which are selling Mediaportal (-disc) on eBay:

Remember this product is NOT a demo, it's a fully licensed copy of an amazing multimedia centre which allows you to manage all of your media needs from an easy to use control panel.
    Who licensed that? ^^

Users who are viewing this thread