Send Windows Message to IRSS Example (1 Viewer)

ajp8164

Portal Pro
January 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi all,

I am trying to get IRSS to receive windows messages using the built in "WM Receiver for IR Server" window. Not having any luck. I have been trying to send the message using SendMessage.exe (see Utility: SendMessage v2.2 - SageTV Community). This utility requires that you supply the window ClassName so I used Spy++ to find it and put together the following command line.

SendMessage.exe -C "WindowsForms10.Window.0.app.0.390be75" -N "WM Receiver for IR Server" -M 32768 -W 24 -L 0

I have modified IRSS code (locally for testing) to simply output the received command when/if a command is received. When I execute the SendMessage command as above I get no response from IRSS (I should see a log update with my changes).

What am I doing wrong here? Can someone please post an example of how to send a windows message to IRSS from the command line (vbs file or using SendMessage.exe or other)?

Many thanks!

ajp8164

Portal Pro
January 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Home Country
No one uses this? After some research, I don't think it works, don't think it ever did. Two things: (1.) The WM Receiver for IR Server window dies after a bit (on its own), and (2.) no idea why it doesn't receive a windows message even when the message sent is correctly targeted (if you know how to debug this stuff please let me know).

ajp8164

Portal Pro
January 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Home Country
After lots of fiddling about I have found that the IRSS only responds to windows messages when it is run as an application (as opposed to the default install configuration that has it run as a service). Not clear about the differences between to two - if you know please reply. Thanks!

Clinton

Portal Member
October 2, 2008
... I don't think it works, don't think it ever did ...

Just off the top of my head: Windows handles messages to services and to windows differently. Different versions of Windows also behave differently in this respect. By design Vista and Win7 are fussy about what messages are delivered to services. The restriction also applies to windows created by service plugins, such as the Windows Message Receiver. Your observation that the implementation just doesn't work when installed as a service may well be correct, at least for Vista/Win7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom