Serial Control Of STB (1 Viewer)

steviebee_uk

Portal Member
October 22, 2007
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of setting up my Media Portal centre and i have a couple of questions...

I have my STB connected to a PVR-150 which is working fine however I would like to be able to change channels etc from within Media Portal using a serial connection from back of PC to back of STB. Could someone please let me know if this is possible and the best way to set this up? I dont have an IR receiver so I want to be able to bring up the EPG Guide select a channel and it will send the appropriate command to the STB via the serial cable.

Thanks

Stephen

trevor

Portal Pro
October 17, 2006
Chelmsford
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Steve,

You dont say what type of STB, for Sky I use a USB device called Skycontrol that controls the Sky box via RF2....not much good this if you dont have a sky stb though.

With no IR you will left with the keyb to control MP, well to my way of thinking.

Trevor

steviebee_uk

Portal Member
October 22, 2007
Thanks for your reply - I plan to use my nintendo Wii remote to control MP. I have manged to get a bit of software that allows me to use it as a mouse and I can also map keys to the buttons.

I am a Virgin Media user and have a Pace STB (Not sure of exact model) so that wont be much use to me.

I am trying to do this on the cheap so I am looking for alternatives to buying an IR blaster...

steviebee_uk

Portal Member
October 22, 2007
I am using tv server and the client on the same machine and hopefuly another client in the bedroom if it works ok over wifi!

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Do you know the commands you would need to send? For example, have you hooked it up and tested it with Hyperterminal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom