SeriesCreator : a cool tool for those who own genuine TV series DVD (1 Viewer)

maxx_nantes

Portal Pro
October 5, 2009
OK, let's make it real and simple :)

I developed a small program called SeriesCreator.

What it does :
it automatically creates hardlinks for all your series when you don't have them ripped on your HDD but own the real DVD's.

How it works :
just unzip the attached file to a directory and run SeriesCreator.exe with administrative rights (for those who run Windows 7 or Windows Vista).

Series Creator is, basically, a grid.
First Column lists your series (directories names). The other columns list the number of episodes in every season.

At the top of the screen, you have 2 options which allow you to select the optical drive you'll use to read your DVD's and the directory you want to use to save these fake series episodes (can be the same as your real avi/mkv/mp4/(...) episodes but I think it's better not to do that as SeriesCreator gives you the ability to delete a whole directory)

At the bottom of the screen, save, only save your properties and exit...exits :)

How your files are organized :

A main working directory => a directory for every series => a file (hardlink) for every episode "series_name SXXEXX".
Therefore, you should add the following simple parsing expression to MP TV Series configuration
Code:
<series> S<season>E<episode>\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo

What you can do in SeriesCreator :
  • Create a new series : in the empty cell at the bottom of the grid, just type your series name, a directory will be created
  • Add episodes to a new season : quite easy to understand, just type the number of episodes in your season
  • Delete a whole series : just clic on the cell left of the series you want to delete (selecting the whole line) and press the delete key. Be extremely cautious with this feature as it will delete your directory even if it has files in it (including real videos, not only hardlinks)
  • Add new episodes to a season : when you have, say 10 episodes, in a cell, just replace it with a 12 => 2 more hardlinks will be created

What you can not do (yet) in SeriesCreator :
  • Delete seasons or individual episodes does not work (yet)
  • ...many more features I guess, so, feel free to ask. But just remember it's a quick made development

Last thing : when you import your hardlinked series, just remember to add a DVD (any, containing a VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo file) as it's the file the import wizzard will be looking for. Any DVD should work. On the contrary, a CD, a Blu-ray, a HD-DVD, an empty optical drive will produce no result at all.

Enjoy and, again, feel free to ask for more.

Attachments

• SeriesCreator.zip
    137.2 KB

superted125

Portal Member
September 16, 2009
Home Country
Re: A cool script for those who own genuine TV series DVD

Sounds like a useful script!

I personally don't own alot of TV series on DVD but i'm sure many people do.

One thing though, you mention the use of symbolic links and download the program 'ln' to enable them. I am assuming you are running windows xp?

Windows 7 (and i think Vista?) can make symbolic links without extra software. The command is mklink

Perhaps include support for this? i think alot of people are running windows 7 on their HTPC these days so could be helpful :)

Thanks for the script though!

maxx_nantes

Portal Pro
October 5, 2009

No, I use Windows 7 but had never heard about mklink. I'll give it a try when I get back home tomorrow night

Game_dude

Portal Pro
February 28, 2006
Indiana
Home Country
United States of America United States of America

This sounds very promising. Is there an easier way to do this? This is a much needed feature for the TV Series plugin :)

Game_dude

Portal Pro
February 28, 2006
Indiana
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Awesome thanks for the update! This is a pretty neat tool. Maybe the My-TV Series dev will implant this sometime :D

maxx_nantes

Portal Pro
October 5, 2009
Awesome thanks for the update! This is a pretty neat tool. Maybe the My-TV Series dev will implant this sometime :D

I'd have to recode everything coz, like we say in French, "ça a été codé avec les pieds" (it's been developped with the feet)

It works, but I guess, anyone should find it quite easy to destroy :)

Agamemmnon

Portal Member
May 18, 2008
Karlsruhe
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi maxx_nantes,

thank you for this nice tool.
As I read above this tool only works for series on DVD; not for Blu-Ray.
Is it possible to include support for Blu-Ray Discs?
Or that you publish the source code, so that other people can include new features?

I'm a c# developer too, so I hopefully could include support for Blu-Ray discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom