Server+Client vs. "normal" (1 Viewer)

Hojou

Portal Pro
January 10, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I was hoping you guys could help me decide what setup to install.

I have a PC in the livingroom right beneath the TV. It has a TV tuner card installed and will be only (for now anyways) machine capturing TV signals. This will also be the primary machine for playback of DVD's, xvids, TV etc.

I figured i'd just go for the normal MP setup and everything would be fine.

However i was thinking it would be cool if i could take the laptop to bed (mmmm laptop...) and watch TV/recorded TV/etc. streamed etc. from the network. This lead me to think i could install the server and client on the machine in the living room and the client on the laptop - right?

Would i then have the excat same posibilities as if running the normal MP on the living room PC + extra laptop goodieness?

Can someone help me confirm/deny the rumours i seemed to have picked up browsing the community?

* The Server / Client setup is slower since the signal needs to be buffered into the stream - does this apply to playback on the server as well - or can it playback the signal without the extra streaming-buffer ment for networking?

* The Server / Client setup is a hassle to setup - does this mean 5+ hours extra of setting it up? I know how to setup MS SQL Server, create logins etc.

* The Server and Client can't run on the same machine? I think the machine is about 3GHz and has 1Gb ram.

Do you think i should just go for the normal MP and if the laptop need arises, install the server and reuse the shows/databases recorded when changing to the server/client architecture?

I hope some of you wizards can help me :D

Hojou

Portal Pro
January 10, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Oh yeah what about stability? Some people say the Server is less stabile than the normal MP? Stability is probably the biggest issue right now - i know i'd get butched if my tinkering cost an episode of 'Desperate Housewives' or 'Curious George' :p

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    at first regarding your stability question

TV-SERVER IS BETA NO FINAL RELEASED YET

* The Server / Client setup is slower since the signal needs to be buffered into the stream - does this apply to playback on the server as well - or can it playback the signal without the extra streaming-buffer ment for networking?
    singleseat (server and client on same pc) -> no, zapping is faster
    multiseat (client connects via LAN to the server) -> yes, but thats beeing worked on.

* The Server / Client setup is a hassle to setup - does this mean 5+ hours extra of setting it up? I know how to setup MS SQL Server, create logins etc.?
    lol. installing TV-Server, SQL server and MediaPortal takes less than 10 minutes.
    time for configuring depends on your needs

* The Server and Client can't run on the same machine? I think the machine is about 3GHz and has 1Gb ram..
    who said that they can not run on the same machine????
    the required hardware depends on your needs again. do you want to play 720p/1080i/p movies on that PC?
    if yes, you will need a 3GHz (or more) CPU.

-------------------------------

finally

People, please start to read the wiki, forums and watch the tutorial videos!
    99% of the questions have allready been answered!
    if you still have questions ask here.
    :D

Hojou

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for the feedback :) Just to let you know - i did browse the user manual and i did watch the videos for setting up the tv server - both before posting. I think my problem is i read some posts that were probably outdated and written by people having problems.

Anyways i get your point about reading the published material first - which i did - that was the reason for my brewed down questions. Still sometimes it's nice to get feedback on your personal questions - makes me feel more comfortable with my decision :)

So again - thanks for the feedback :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom