Server Connection Problems cause slow MP perf and EPG probs (1 Viewer)

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Logs attached for problem I've been seeing repeatdly. Everything going fine then suddenly EPG screen is garbage. Only a couple of label missing tags near top left. One this happens MP (client) gets very slow, after a restart it takes ages to start up (long time waiting for server). In this state trying to go to TV screen, gives me a sreen asking me to my server (it shows correct name but presumabyl can't reach it). For the record the bad EPG screen will happen regardless of skin (ie: happens on Monochrome and Blue 3 Wide).

From the logs it looks like a server connection issue. But at the moment at least server is still running as a show is being recorded and the file is increasing in size on disk.

In this state when trying Server Cfg, I've also got a msg saying Server not running, start it? When it should already be running.

History: I've had good MP experience for the past 6 months. RC3 was trouble free for me for the best part of 3 mos. This issues first appeared about 10 days ago, and after trying for a few nights to fix it by doing everything from a basic MP reinstall, to clean MP reinstall, and last night to full system rebuild - Windows on up. Machine was up for about 6 hours, then tonight problem returned. Cursing this box at the moment. Nearly went out the window...

Seems really odd to me. Next step would be to go back to RC3, but after spending many long nights on this recently, I'm loosing faith.

Of course it could be hardware. This was a complete new back 8 mos ago, the disk reports healthy etc. Windows seems fine, and after a clean install its snappy. I should say that once this starts happening Windows does seem slower to boot, but that could be TVServer start up issue? But System log is clean.

Or could be a virus. Machine us behind a router std firewall, Windows Firewall is up, SP3 plus Updates enabled. Still I note in the log that Telephony Service and some 2005 old reports on the web that that was a vulnerability.

Where to next? Any suggestions from the logs.

Thanks.

N.

TV-Server Version: 1.0
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome 2.4
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
    HDD: Sumsung 1T Eco
    Memory: 2 Gb (less750Mb for Ramdisk)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
    Video Card: Integrated ATI™ Radeon™ X1250
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: Integrated ALC889A 8-Channel HD
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV Nova S
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Optus D1 (FreeView NZ)
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Corsair VX450W
    Remote: Hauppauge
    TV: Sony 32" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Having read the thread below and others about issues with EPG grabbing causing Server hangs

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...t-closing-timeshift-freeze-disable-epg-33276/

I made the following changes
    - In TVServer > PowerScheduler PlugIn > EPG > checked "Prevent standby if grabbing"
    - In TVServer > General > EPG Tab unchecked EPG while idle (ie: only grab when timsheshifting)

For the last 3 days its been perfect.

These problems started when I installed PowerScheduler so my guess is that the EPG grab (from DVB-S) was being interrupted by standby and screwing the DB or something along those lines. My initial take was to turn off EPG altogether and that also worked fine, but with the above changes I've now got EPG and PowerScheduler working and no issues. Maybe just checking "Prevent standby when grabbing" was all that was needed, but the Idle setting is probably wise too.

Seems like there's something in here that should be addressed to prevent others having these issues. If standby during EPG really is causing this problem it should be fixed, or the "Prevent Standby" setting made permanent.

Cheers.

N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom