Server console - 27-10-2010 - Alpha out now! (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
---UPDATE---

First Alpha release can be found here. When it comes to stable I'll rewrite this post. The search for designers and developers is still acitve! So if you like it please contribute anyway you can. The alpha needs a lot of work on the design aspect, which I'm not that great at, so any help on that (mockups included) will be highly appreciated.

---EOF UPDATE ---

Hey all,

Some of you might seen some of my posts referring to my server console I have been developing the last year or so.
For a quick impression you can take a look @ this youtube video.

I have been looking into going opensource with all this in the past but because of some stuff (like lack of time, inexperience of team members, complexity of the tool etc.) it never really got of the ground so far.

So here I am trying again to get some project group together for this, I'm looking for;

1) experienced PHP webdeveloper(s).
Knowledge about OO programming is a must. Besides that jQuery knowledge would be a plus but not required. Ofcourse SQL knowledge (currently sqlite and mysql are used) is a must too.
As the last requirement I'd like to state is intermediate knowledge about apache server configuration, which you will need to get some stuff setup the way I have. I have not yet tested or tried this but it should be able to run on IIS as well, I suppose (although there might be some problem with the current use of .htaccess files).

Any expert experience with cURL is really, really needed atm cause my own skills are lacking on this aspect.

I kinda have to put a sidenote here, not to discourage people who are interested but I thought you might as well know this beforehand. The way this app is setup now is in many ways still hardcoded (think of filepaths for example) and therefore needs to be decoupled (I already am working on some structure for this and implementing that). So to get this to work for others it initially will take a bit of effort.
The second side note is that I run this whole app on my own build of what I call a framework. This framework is really compact and really fast when compared to other bigger wel known PHP frameworks like Zend (which ofcourse comes at an expense which is mostly less preassembled stuff which you can pick up and go along with). This will mean you will need to program against an interface but also need to fix (or extend missing functionality) that interface from time to time. It will also mean it will take a bit of time to get comfortable with it, however I can provide some documentation like a PHP documentor API or an ERD of the database.
Also this seems like quite a deal, I like to brag :) but it actually isn't, the codes not perfect either, just all started as a hobby thing.

2) designer(s).
As you can see from my youtube video I'm not doing that much on this aspect yet, however to make it totally awesome a stunning design is like 50% of the app.
So I'm also looking for people who are willing to provide me with mockups (or actual sliced HTML if you're any good with that). I need designs for both a desktop based environment as well as a mobile based one. So if you would like to design some part of this project you're welcome to do so, however keep in mind that design is a personal taste and therefor I cannot garanty that your mockup will eventually be used as the design (with the first release or as the default).
I will eventually probably implement some easy skinning system. So the more design ideas the better for this.

So enough of me ranting.
I think I have gone into details and put the most important stuff here for people willing to contribute but ofcourse asking here is free, so please do ;)

I would totally appreciate any effort people are willing to spent on this little project of mine.

p.s.
Feature requests are welcome too but first please consult with yourself if what you're asking seems even remotely possible to yourself so this thread is kept clean.

p.s.2
I have put a thread here asking about security risks a while back. To let all people know I have got a pretty watertight setup now.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well i am no designer and no php dev but just had a look at the video and am quite impressed.
    That's a great collection of tools combined in a Web App. Really great idea :D

:D

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    :D gemx. Hopefuly more people drop by and some of them wiling to take some work of my hands

nicx

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi joz,

great to read your post and i think i will answer you here instead of your pn ;)

unfortunately i am no programmer and i only have a little experience in php. but i could help you in testing and bugreporting your server console. so if you find some project helpers and you need testers, just pn me again ;)

nicx...

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    if anyone's willing to take a crack @ this, I thought I just drop it here (already have @ other places as well but no useful responses so far)
    I'm trying to cURL my way thru the login of ForTheRecord (ASPX and I believe a default dotnet login kind of form)
    Not the only one I'm struggling with, utorrent's webui and all the ajax going on is idiocratic to get to work like this it seems (to me). Getting past basic authenticication is not the problem, the problem lies in stuff as wrong http_referers, cookies, relative url's and the like.

sorry for the horrible lengthy bad written code, I've been just testing this a bit (and not get it going :p)

--Edit---
    attached it as a file instead

Attachments

• fortherecord.zip
      30.6 KB

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Man I just ran into tversity, this stuff is awesomeness!
    Transcoding on the fly, even streamable with 3G bandwidth, this stuff rocks and will integrate into the (mobile) console :)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    And some good news cause decoupling the hardcoded stuff is going better then expected.
    I think I have a solid solution going now.

Btw what do you guys think of this aspect;
    I have setup everything now to be used with mysql (can extend the datalayer to provide more db compatibility). Should I move to sqlite to drop the mysql dependency?
    Keep in mind that an apache or other webserver install will be necessary (at least for the first release) so I guess I could assume those people have db access as well.
    Sqlite is supposed to be faster as well, although I do have a complicated DB structure with sometimes lots of joining and that might tip the scales.

I've also been working on iPhone accessibility. I took the look and feel of the iphone, looks really good :)

Attachments

• iphoontje.jpg
      iphoontje.jpg
      39.5 KB

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you have multiple joins then i would avoid sqlite.
    Also "played" with it a lot recently but at least there was one "JOIN-type" that was not support.
    I think it "right outer" but i am not sure.
    Nevertheless things get quite complicated and unhandy when it comes to the usage of extensive joins in sqlite.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    :D for the tip gemx!
    I do not really know that much about sqlite, I read about some stuff here and there.

Since a DB is needed because everything in xml or some other flat format will just make it horrible code (unmaintainable, do not want that).
    I was just thinking about this to have a broader user base if/when released.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: Server console (again ;))

Hey guys

I was just going at it again refactoring some of my code.
    I decided that a Nested set for the menu of this project would be a good idea (also known, at least to me, as a left/right sql tree)

However I'm stuck atm. Building the query for getting a correct resultset is not the issue, I have figured that out using this mysql article.
    I'm getting stuck now building up the multi dimensional array within PHP, which should resemble something like this structure

$menu[root]
    $menu[root][subitem]
    $menu[root][subitem][subsubitem] etc...

I already found solutions to get this done (for example this article) however the downside of all I have found is that multiple queries are needed and I know I have seen this done before with a single query and some recursion in PHP.
    Is there someone who can help me out here? Maybe with some psuedo code or just some info on the subject on how to procede?

:D for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom