Setting up MCE remote on Antec Fusion case (1 Viewer)

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
May 3, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just built a new media centre using an Antec Fusion case.

How do I get the IR receiver to work with MediaPortal?

The supplied iMON software seems to be intended for Antec's own media software, no obvious way to get it working with MP.

Do I need iMON loaded, or will MP see the IR interface (which is USB connected)? Either way, how is it set up?

Jim

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Jim, No great news for you I'm afraid. The iMon stuff normally has it's own circuitry and IR receiver, and is designed to work with the iMon software. That said, there are plenty of tweeks to make iMon work with MP on it's own, or with IR Server Suite. I did at one stage have a working iMon remote, without running the horrible iMon Frontrow software. The alternative, if you have an MCE remote is just to plug that in, and not use the iMon stuff at all.

On a positive note, the team at Soundgraph, who make iMon have promised (the CEO himself) that they will work with the Devs here to make a working iMon & MediaPortal solution, which I think is due to start in September.

For what it's worth, I ditched the iMon and use an MCE remote with the ugly USB dongle thing, but it's a good working remote, responsive, and easy to use.

Good luck!

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
May 3, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks, I was starting to come to the conclusion it was going to be a lot of roaring and screaming to get it working, and even then it would be a fudge!

The display is also complete rubbish (didn't get the case for that, as they are all unreadable from 10' anyway), so I think I'll go the MCE receiver route and disconnect the iMON panel completely. Size of the receiver isn't a problem as I can stick it to the inside-top of the cabinet and you'd never know it was there.

Pity the RF version doesn't work with XP (only found that out a while back after buying one!).

Jim

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Good move Jim - although funnily enough, I did see a case review where the case shipped with an MCE remote control, but the panel was from iMon - I am going to dig this out, as it all suggested that the iMon I/R panel can be set to work with the MCE remote. I think this might be an ideal solution for many people, including me!

I wasn't aware there was an RF version of the MCE Remote - sounds good!

xayd

September 1, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
it can but it won't work well. i have attempted for several weeks to use a logitech harmony programmed as an MCE remote with the imon software, but you can basically forget about it ever being a seamless solution.

the inherent flaw is that the imon software has hard coded buttons that cannot be changed (exit linked to backspace, for instance) and thus with the imon software you can't have mediaportal seamlessly open and close things that require external players (such as netflix, blu ray players, media player classic, etc.)

if you abandon the imon software in favor of another software that can work with the imon hardware, that presents a whole other set of problems with the alternative software not fully working with the imon hardware because soundgraph, despite promises to the contrary, refuses to provide an API to any third party developer. the result of that is buttons that likely don't work at all (in my case with IRSS it was the playback control buttons that didn't work).

if you at all value your time, ditch the soundgraph receiver and get an MCE compliant replacement. with an MCE compliant receiver everything 'just works' in about 5 minutes of driver installation and initial setup. if you have one of the drive bay integrated soundgraph receivers, there are 3.5" universal card readers that have MCE compliant receivers in them for about 20-25 dollars, i posted another thread with a link to one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom