h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Time Warner
HTPC Case: Dell Optiplex 620
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Mediagate GP-IR02BK
TV: Vizio
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Over the weekend I picked up a Hauppauge HD PVR, I assumed that the setup would be straight forward I was wrong (guess that's what I get for assuming) I am having issue with scraping channels and getting the IR Blaster working. I have installed the latest drivers, 1.5.7.2. I have searched the forums here and any guide I find is most recent circa 2009. Figured I would check youtube for a setup video, nothing there either, the all tell me how to hook it up to a gaming console and that is not what I am after. If anyone can offer any assistance in the matter of setting this up it would be greatly appreicated. Thanks guys.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Heya HudsonHawk04,

I can try to help. I have 2 HD-PVRs setup and working very well.

My first question to you is: What do you mean "scraping channels"? The HD-PVR is not a tuner. It has no concept of channels... all it knows is the input signal coming from a settop box.

If you're in the states, you will have to setup your channels with schedules direct. I'm not sure whether you ever got SD working for you, but you'll need it now.

As for the blaster... it's true the HD-PVR comes with an IR blaster, I could never really get it to work as advertised... YMMV... I always recommend the USB-UIRT... not cheap, but it works as it's supposed to and I've never missed a recording due to IR issues.

I recommend installing the Arcsoft software... try connecting to the HD-PVR to view what's live on the STB... it's actually in this arcsoft application where you set the recording preferences and audio input selection, etc.

Let us know what happens.

Geoff

HudsonHawk04

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2010
    Jayhawk Nation
    I was able to get schedules direct to work by tweaking the channels sql database. it shows up as an analog hauppauge HD PVR Crossbar under the tv server---MediaPortal-PC tab, along with my other configured tuners. If I scan for channels (cable) at this point nothing is recognized.

Installing the Arcsoft software now, it did not install when I was installing everything else will check through there. I have an IR receiver that came with my remote that I am using for Media Portal, is there any way using that? Will report back with findings here in a few.

Using the Arcsoft capture software I am able to get HD (audio and video both work) I was able to change channels via my STB, however there is some delay.

Hope this helps.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK,

You won't be able to scan for channels with the HD-PVR. Like I said, the HD-PVR has no concept of channels.

Here's the steps you might have missed:

In SD plugin, you have to tell the plugin to auto-create the channels that are missing... it's under a section set for STB users (cable or satellite). In that section, tell the SD plugin what input the channels should get created with... if you're using the Component out, set this to YRYBYInput1. I've attached an image of the config I used.

Now, restart the TV service.

When the plugin detects new channels, it will add them with the proper inputs and tuning details.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Geoff

Attachments

• sdplugin-advancedconfig.png
      sdplugin-advancedconfig.png
      24.7 KB

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well, not really. You shouldn't get a "no tuner available" error.

You're right that it's not a tuner, but you need the blaster setup... if you use a USB-UIRT, then you can use the IRSS plugin to send signals to your settop box. If you're going to use the builtin blaster, you're going to have to get someone else to help... I couldn't get mine to work... granted, I spent all of 30 seconds trying before going with USB-UIRT.

Even without a blaster setup, you should just be able to watch whatever channel the STB happens to be tuned to.... useless, I realize, but at least you can show that the recording/viewing works.

Once that works, the HD-PVR can record any channel that is available on your STB.

Geoff

PABeaver

Portal Member
    November 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Got my guide populated, I am assuming that the no free card available is normal as this is not a tuner card, so only recording would be an option correct?

I think you are getting the no free card available message because you need to map the channels to your HD-PVR. Go into the TV Server -> TV Channels -> TV Mapping. Select the HD-PVR in the card menu. Move all of the channels you want to be associated with the HD-PVR from the Available Channels window into the Channels Mapped to Card window.

It should now work when you go into MP and select a program on the guide. Be aware that the channel you select in MP will not necessarily be the one that your STB is showing until you get channel changing to work. I use firewire to change the channels on the STB, but have been thinking of looking into USB-UIRT when I get more HD-PVR's (something that I may never be able to talk my wife into) :).

Hope this helps.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, but I dont follow the last part of your post. As far as getting the blaster set up do you think it is even possible to get my mce remote working, or should I try to set up a Logitech Harmony remote I have laying around?

Would something like this work?
    How-to Set Up IR Server Suite with HD-PVR and Media Center

OK,

There are two scenarios where IR is needed.

1) You are watching media portal from your couch and you want to listen to music, or watch a video so you point your remote control at the IR receiver and control MP that way.

2) the MediaPortal TV server wants to record something (either scheduled recording or you requested to watch live tv). The TV server must "tune" the settop box to the proper channel. It uses the blaster to send channel change information to your STB and the starts recording on your HD-PVR.

Clearly, your MCE remote or Harmony remote do not apply to scenario 2.

Scenario 2 requires that you setup IRSS (for USB-UIRT anyways). The link you sent is not what I did. IRSS has a TV Server plugin portion where you learn and configure which devices in MP require blasting.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Kryspy

Portal Member
    November 3, 2005
    Wellad, ON
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    GeoffStewart,

Hi, Curious as to what service provider you are using? I have Shaw Direct and am contemplating a setup with 1 HD-PVR and a couple OTA tuners. Is there much grief in setting up a TV server with two different sets of services?

Kryspy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom