Cato72

Portal Member
October 20, 2004
Oslo
Home Country
Norway Norway
More ...

MrMario64 & dman_lfc:
I fully see and understand your arguments. Maybe setting a default view on "new" folders could be an option for the plugin...? But don't bother -- I'll take a look at it as soon as I get some time... :)

dmac_lfc:
Why this negative/sarcastic attitude? Isn't this a Feature Request forum for suggestions like this?!? I've seen this attitude several times and it sure doesn't wanna make me (and maybe others) contribute with ideas...

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Negative - yes (coz not every request is going to get the thumbs up), sarcastic - no (but you were)
    We explain why it is like it is and then we have to do it again.

Chill-out dude!
    We're all open to 'fresh' ideas that will suit the majority.
    And programmers (since you seem keen and hint you may be able to help) should see todo.txt in your docs folder.

Peace

DMAN.

A

Anonymous

dman_lfc said:
    There is no such feature since each user view settings will vary so you have to do it manually depending on the what look you want but once it's set then it's set.

DMAN.

i have like 500 albums on my computer all organized into individual folders, it would take a lot of time to go into each folder and setup each folder.

its not practical. hence my thread.

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    cato, thing is.

you want Big thumbs as first then list
    the other wants small thumbs and then big thumbs
    or list then big thumbs
    or list and then list
    or list and then list and then list for artist and then big thumb for the album and then list again for the songs list....

you see,
    nomatter what we would set as a default, there are different needs for different users. It's a user preference.
    I am sure you use the same look all over, and that it would seem handy for you if we would have that as default. But for the other it will be annoying as it's not what they use.

We simply cannot set a standard that will make everybody happy.

giving the user several options for global preferences extends the program's functuality.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Favian,

Your request is noted and maybe someday it may be done but it's unlikely to be done soon and it's unlikely to be done by the core development team. If someone takes an interest in your idea, knows C#, and an implementation concensus is determined then maybe just maybe
    you'll get it how you want.

Cato has the batten...
    I'll take a look at it as soon as I get some time...

DMAN

A

Anonymous

favian said:
    - PinCode Required to Exit To Desktop from Mediaportal (as an option)
    - Always show folders with artwork when browsing folders, once inside the album automatically switch to list mode
    - A button should be assigned to automatically add a song to a queue list.

I think all of these ideas are great. Can't see any reason why they shouldn't be put on the todo-list.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ideas are good, but we do need to filter out some ideas.
    We do not want MP to have too many options.
    When in doubt they will be discussed on IRC.

we do want to keep the idea behind MP alive and not turn it into an option paradise.

------

As the 500 folder example is indeed a good example of the current system failing we started thinking. there is an idea but no programmer yet.
    I wish Bonkalord was still here......

Anyway, options noted.

A

Anonymous

I have a few hundred album folders and run into same problem as favian.

I currently use XBMC and it has option to auto-switch views. But I see that MediaPortal is more complicated and databases each folder view which is a neat idea but can get out of hand when dealing with many folders. The problem comes up when one is browsing throught the music folders for the first time - there is no previous view in the database so it creates one based on the parent folder's view (at least it seems this way based on my observation).

A relatively simple solution, that I believe would solve the problem would be:

In the Options menu (F2), add this:

Allow the user to specify the default view for a new folder not yet contained in the database (folderdatabase2.db).

The options could be as follows:

1) Inherit from parent folder's view (like it seems to be currently now in MP)
    2) List
    3) Icons
    4) Big Icons
    5) Filmstrip

You could have different defaults for each module (eg. My Music, My Pictures, My Videos etc.)

So in the case of favian and myself, what we would do is set to the default for My Music to #2 - List. Then we would navigate to our album folders root and manually change view from List to to Big Icons. Then any album folder we navigate to would be automatically set to List.

How does this sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom