[solved] Several Video Sources Combined Into One (1 Viewer)

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm not an MP2 user or tester because it seems not to support my setup. I have several drives, locally attached, each of which has a Movies folder and a TVseries folder. (This happened as the storage system grew over the years.)

(In addition, I have folders on one drive which contain movies and series that are dummy video files, but have the titles of my DVDs that have not been ripped. This allows MP to scrape the DVD's info. In total, I have 4 Movies folders and 4 TVseries folders.)

In MP1, I can set these up separately (to some extent, with multiple plugins) or combined. It seems in MP2 I can only set them up separately.

Is that correct? Or did I miss something?

I spent an hour or so searching the forums for this using "sources" and "shares" and variants and found no answer.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi Pat and thanks for your interest in MP2!
    In MP2 you have automatically both alternatives: In Movies and Series view, they will be combined. In shares view they will be separate.
    Only thing from your confit that does not (yet) work are the dummy files. But this is at least on my todo list (no promise as to when... ;) )
    If you need further help for the setup, please feel free to ask!
    Michael

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Leaving out the Dummy files...
    MP2 will allow you to use the drives and folders as you wish...
    F:\Movies = Tell the system to Import the directory, next it will pop-up with the Real Name of the directory. At this point you can Change the name for identification, hit OK, and then Label it as Audio, Video, or Series. Done
    Now you can:
    G:\Movies = Same as before....

You can do this with and for every folder you have media on and choose what type of media it is...

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I guess I don't know how to set up a "Movies or Series view." All I ever found was a shares view, which, as you said, shows each folder separately.

MP2 is currently uninstalled because my system is too weak to handle the MP1 TV functionality, so I can't check. I do recall that folders are defined with the type of files they contain, so I can see that such a view would be possible.

If it's in a hidden slide-out menu, then that's what I didn't discover -- I just found out such a thing even exists. Which brings up the whole discoverability issue -- the "scroll down on the home page" was an "Aha!" from my earlier attempts. Not very discoverable.

[I just received an email notification of another reply that somewhat covers this, but I still don't get it.]

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    As for the MP1 TV side problem... I cannot help you..
    With MP2, yes you scowl down to Settings.
    Within there is Media Sources
    Media Sources Configuration

For instance
    Add Media Source
    Local file system - Continue Button
    Click on the (+) next to the drive
    Find the folder you want and place a Check Mark in the Box
    (+) F:\MPMovies
    Continue
    Here you can edit the Media Source Display Name (great for future reference of what and where it is..)
    When Done - Continue
    Choose the type of media you want it to be in - Continue
    It will start the import for you.

If you go back to Media Sources you can then go to Media Sources Overview and check on the progress (it will only be Importing or give you the option to ReImport) once the Importing highlight is done... All your media is imported.

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I understood all that and was successful. The "title" of each such folder was forced to be different, so, say Movies1 and Movies2, each with type Video.

So afterwards, I can see Movies1 and Movies2, but nowhere did I see a way to view all the files together from both folders of type Video.

This is probably one of those things that so obvious that you can't imagine that I don't understand. Sorry for being so dense.:confused:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Oh.... I understand....
    Once you go into Movies or Videos, on the left side is a Tab called Filer (I think)
    Put the mouse over it and a window will show up
    Click on Filer and choose Show All

Jataganich

Portal Member
    August 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    good day!
    MPcan read subfolders?
    for example:
    С:\Moves\Video 1
    С:\Moves\Video 2