Ongoing SFF HTPC Version 2(COMPLETE) (1 Viewer)

karu

Portal Member
November 28, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Okay so previously i built a Shoebox size HTPC and showed you guys my nifty results!
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/completed-htpc-projects-61/shoebox-size-htpc-41721/ - Here was what it looked like.
minijc8.jpg

And that turned out great. Well, Jetway came out with a freakin 780G, HDMI, ATI Radeon HD 3200, Mini ITX board and this time you won't need a DVI -> HDMI extension plug! So I decided to build another SFF HTPC and test it out!

Case: APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply Delivered
MB: JetWay JNC81-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard Delivered
Ram: G. Skill SO DIMM 2x4gig ddr2 800 Delivered
DVD: Liteon DVDRW Delivered
Harddrives: 2x1 terabyte 7200rpmShipped ETA november 18th
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition When i come back from VA on wednesday
CPU Cooler: SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 80mm CPU Cooler - Retail Delivered

lets hope this goes well! This is also my first attempt at using mediaportal with XP and going to attempt to change the boot logo and stuff that you really couldn't do with vista.

karu

Portal Member
November 28, 2007
Home Country
So i got majority of the parts. Just waiting on the harddrives then we can starting testing this board out!
I got the APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply and i love it better than the other APEX ITX case. Well i do have a thing with full black cases. It's nice, simple, and awesome size.

1.jpg

The case vs shoebox

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

karu

Portal Member
November 28, 2007
Home Country
SFF complete!! It's a beauty! Anyone getting this motherboard, couple things to note:
It's running on peak 60 degrees with 2x1 terabyte drives...not bad in my book..

1. Do not get the SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 80mm CPU Cooler, it does not fit..i'm in search for an optional one. default one works well but i think another cooler can get this machine very very very quiet.(it's quiet, but i'm being OCD and i want it quieter)
2. Make sure you enable the HDMI audio in the BIOS or it won't work at all.

complete1.jpg

complete2.jpg

complete3.jpg

Guys, good job on 1.0 RC3, love the new menu setup.

rx2nr

November 28, 2008
we have a nearly identical setup but im saddened that the SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 wouldnt work in that case. ive been looking countless hours for a heatsink with less than 55cm clearance and seemed that would fit the job. keep us updated on the heatsink you choose.

apex mi-008
j&w minix 780g itx
g skill 1x2gb ddr2 800
amd athlon x2 4850e

karu

Portal Member
November 28, 2007
Home Country
its not the case it won't fit in, it's the motherboard lol..the power plug gets in the way to screw in the cooler. Should've been more clear..sorry! still no luck searching well even if i did find one, my sister's fiance borrowed it to go movie marathoning so i can't work on it lol

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    Did you think about cutting the corner off the cooler, I doubt that little bit needed to cut off will affect it.

cooler.png

karu

Portal Member
    November 28, 2007
    Home Country
    someone mentioned that in hardforums too. I think i'll give it a shot this week. I'd give anything to get the machine to go quieter. i'll fill you in. Besides, it'll be a waste of a cooler not to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom