Sharing Databases & Thumbs problem (1 Viewer)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,
I see my issue has been talked about before but there seems to be no updates lately so i wondered if anyone can help

I currently have a HTPC in the living room which has a large library, databases and thumbs. (2gb+ in total)
Ive just set up a new machine for the backroom configured the shares and even tv client runs well. (after finding the RSTP port had reverted to 0 :( )

My problem is that to use the movie/music/ect database and thumbs on multiple machines I have to update both machines librarys when i get new movies in
One soloution would be to update the HTPC (main pc) and then copy the whole folder to the other (seems like hard work)
I have tried resolving this issue by amending the file path locations on the second machine to point to the htpc`s databases and thumbs which works but is extremely slow when bringing up the movie library (600+ movies) due to is retrieving the thumb data across the network every time you page up through them!.
My lastest idea is to utilise offline files, set the \database and \thumbs to be availiable offline, this will (in theory) create a local copy of the files on the backroom pc but also allow me ability to synchronise the files when needed. keeping bandwidth usage to a minimum
With this i have concerns.
How can i force the backroom pc to only use the offline files (as this will be 1000x faster while browsing) and preferably schedule it to synchronise maybe every few days, OR would it automatically use the offline files and only synchronise any changes?

Im running Windows 7 and not aware if theyere is anything that will allow 2 folders on a network to always match up

Can anyone advise if they have had the same issues, if there is a better method, or any advise on pitfalls i may encounter

MediaPortal Version: Latest Alpha
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3
Windows Version: Windows 7 7600
CPU Type: P4 660 3.4Ghz
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1.5TB
Memory: 2GB DDR400 (4x512 Corsair)
Motherboard: FIC P4M-915GDI-LF
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4350 (LP)
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 9.11
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio & ATI HDMI
Sound Card AC3: Coaxial Out
Sound Card Driver: