'Shift'+'!' -> What does the displayed info mean? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

Im trying to set up MP to run as best as possible with my (rear pro) HDTV.

I mainly watch PAL, ie 25fps DVDs, so i have set my resolution to 1280x720(TV's native res) at 50hz.

When i press Shift+! there is alot of (interesting) information, the top line says
    0.00fps (1280x720) 100 backbuf X8R8G8B8 adapter X8R8G8B8 (D16) False VMR9 [changes between 24.62, 25.00 and 25.60]
    fps [25.00- 25.01] sync:0 drawn: [number] dropped:0 jitter: [0 - 1, mostly 0]

What does all this mean? My guess is that sync: 0 means the framerate is synced to the refresh rate, or does it relate to vsync?.

I would also like to know exactly what jitter means, i realize its probably a measure of how the difference in sync and actual framerate affects playback. Also, why are there more than one fps count(ie the one following VMR and the one prefixed by fps)?

Finally what is the purpose of the white line moving from left to right?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    0.00fps (1280x720), 100 backbuf X8R8G8B8, adaptor X8R8G8B8 (D16) False VMR9 49.69 fps 47.41 sync: 0 drawn: 19083 dropped: 19 jitter: 18

0.00fps
    This is the frames drawn per sec for the GUI.
    When you are watching tv/video/dvd with VMR9 then this should be 0.00fps since the GUI is then drawn by VMR9 and not by MP mains thread
    If you are using overlay (or you are not watching tv/video/dvd) then this represents how fast the GUI gets drawn. Note you can specify the max. fps in mediaportals settings screen

(1280x720)
    Current resolution MP is working in

Is a debug number, ignore it

backbuf X8R8G8B8, adaptor X8R8G8B8 (D16)
    This tells you which directx screen format is using.
    In this case its using a X8R8G8B8 layer. Again you can ignore it

False
    ignore this

VMR9 49.69
    Indicates VMR9 is active and that its drawing 49.69 video frames/sec

fps 47.41
    The actual average frame rate since playback started

sync: 0
    the average time difference between when the video frames should have been displayed and when they actually were.

drawn: 19083
    The number of video frames actually drawn since playback started

dropped: 19
    the number of video frames dropped by the video renderer

jitter: 18
    The average time between successive video frames delivered to the video renderer

what is the purpose of the white line moving from left to right?
    It will display any "tearing" or other breaks in the video "smoothness" - the line should be continuous, and move smoothly.

HTH..... :)

urev

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 7, 2005
    Germany
    Thanks for the information.

Would it be possible to view some information concerning DVB?

Especially signal strength and qualitiy would be really helpful in dertermining the best position for the antenna, but also video format, Bandwidth, Audio format, bandwidth etc. should be interesting.

bye, urev

thiskl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2005
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    Taipan

You've told us what each value represents. Can you please put this is context? For example;

Why do frames get dropped?
    Are dropped frames one cause of skipping?
    How many is too many dropped frames?
    etc...

In other words, how do/can we use this info to "tune" our config?

Many thanks

thiskl

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Would it be possible to view some information concerning DVB? Especially signal strength and qualitiy would be really helpful in dertermining the best position for the antenna,
    You should be able to get this information with the apllication that came with your DVB card?

but also video format, Bandwidth, Audio format, bandwidth etc. should be interesting.
    You can get this information from your DVB provider.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Can you please put this is context? For example;
    Why do frames get dropped?
    Are dropped frames one cause of skipping?
    How many is too many dropped frames?
    etc...
    Sorry thiskl - that's about the limit of my knowledge - maybe someone else can offer an informed comment?

In other words, how do/can we use this info to "tune" our config?
    I don't think you can "tune" your configuration - what parameters are there in MediaPortal or your video card that control these aspects? I think it is really just for information only.... :?

urev

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 7, 2005
    Germany
    Perhaps, I could get some of the information elsewhere, but it would be nice to do a quick check.

Example: When your TV picture is not perfect, perhaps someone has moved the antenna a litte bit. But you don't think of that and search the problem in mediaportal, since you have made a CVS-Update at the same time.
    Obvious also mediaportal could get anntena strength and quality, as it is shown during channel scan. But since you cannot pause the scan, you have no ability to adjust the antenna.

And bandwidth could be interesting, since the dvb-provider can adjust currently used bandwidth according to the program needs (or payments). So you could easily check, if a bad picture results of reduced bandwidth, misaligned antenna or problems elsewhere.

And to make my HTPC more stable I would prefer to install additonal software or applications as few as possible.

bye, urev

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    First off, thanks for responding, i have a few more questions:

VMR9 49.69
    Indicates VMR9 is active and that its drawing 49.69 video frames/sec

fps 47.41
    The actual average frame rate since playback started
    So the first is the current fps, and the other one is the average?

jitter: 18
    The average time between successive video frames delivered to the video renderer

This sounds a bit strange. When im watching DVDs this starts high and slowly reduces to zero(i guess because its high in the beginning and then drops to 0 and slowly brings down the average). If this is zero it means that there is not time between frame deliveries? Jitter sounds like something bad, but a little between framedeliveries sounds okay if the time fits with the intended time between frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom