Short "sped up video" segments... (1 Viewer)

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So this may be common, but it's new to me. As I play mkv's, HD stuff, the video will play mostly correctly/normally. However, every 5-10 seconds (seems random) there will be like a 1/2 second moment where the video goes faster. The audio never skips a beat though. I followed the Codec Guide on the media portal site to install everything - and I'm using the latest ffdshow tryout by clsid.

Any tips to fix this issue?

hobb

Portal Member
August 31, 2006
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
It might be due to your refresh rate on your display. Most videos can be played reasonably well on 50Hz or 60 Hz refreshrate (corresponding to PAL and NTSC) using various methods of shuffling the 24 frames/sec video (if it is a movie source) into approprite display frames and ending up in video and display beeing synched after some multiple. If you are using another refresh rate the video might be constantly lagging and getting out of sync with the sound.

If this is the problem either chage our refresh rate to something that works or you could try to install a DirectShow filter called "ReClock" (or something like that) which will force the picture and sound in synch (by altering the sound speed slightly I think).

It could also be that your system is not fast enough to handle the content you try to view. If I try to view 1080i content with my setup I get behaviour similar to this (video lagging sligthly behind and catching up periodically depending on the container format) .

You have not posted your system specification or a debug log as suggested (required?) by the support forum rules, so people can only really guess what your problem is...

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
Hm, ok Sorry.

The debug log (which I think is the watchdog thing??) crashes nearly everytime I close media portal. I will see microsoft error reporting come up for it... I've tried a reinstall, but I figured since media portal is at least working, I shouldn't need to worry. ha!

System specs:
TV-Server Version: Vizio VO47LF (47" LCD)
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: XP Pro
CPU Type: AMD 5050e
HDD: 2 - 1TB WD Caviar Green-Drives
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 w/ HDMI + Optical S/PDIF Our
Video Card:
Video Card Driver: Nvidia (ON MOBO)
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: VIA (on MOBO)
HTPC Case: Standard Pc Case
Cooling: Fans
Power Supply: Rosewill 430w 80+ supply
Remote: Using Antech receiever with iMON to make my harmony work like a MCE remote
TV: Vizio 47" LCD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI
For sound: I USE S/PDIF OPTICAL OUT, NOT HDMI!

Now I'm starting to notice that after maybe 20 minutes of watching, the video SOMETIMES smoothens out. Maybe it's just that I'm getting used to it, but I seem to think that it gets a bit better... this makes me think it sounds like my setup can't handle the stream, but I feel like it should be able to!

If no other suggestions I may try the directshow filter... What did you do to fix your problem?

hobb

Portal Member
August 31, 2006
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
My projector is only 720p so there is no real use for me to view anything above that if I can get hold of a 720p version of the content. I plan to upgrade my Athlon 3500+ to a x2 et sometime since my setup is just on the margin (or rather behind) to handle the HDTV DVB-T broadcasts i receive, the picture starts lagging behind the sound right away and after a couple of seconds it is too much behind to be watchable.

If it is only 1080 content you have problem with (i.e. 720p works fine) this might be your problem. Your hardware seems quite fast although I am not familiar with AMDs new naming convention.

If speed is the problem you can try to find a faster h264 decoder, CoreAVC is the fastest software decoder for h264 as far as I know but if you want to utilize your graphichs card at all you need to get a codec that uses hardware decoding acceleration, Cyberlink has one I think and there are probably some others to, you will have to ask around or search for hardware accelerated HD decoding (some hww decoders only accelerate sd material = useless)

bazzz

Portal Pro
March 29, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Home Country
Canada Canada
I had this exact same problem. Seems it was something in the installation of CCCP that caused it. I remedied the situation by uninstalling it and installing the K-Lite codec pack. In both cases I was using CoreAVC for video and S/PDIF for audio; presumably it was some other arcane setting in the setup that caused the problem. Of course, once I'd fixed the problem I didn't bother pursuing this any further.

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
Ah... Thing is I have only a few codecs installed in the first place. I will be trying Coreavc after new years though, I'll post here if it works!!

mhunter

Portal Member
November 20, 2006
Home Country
One more suggestion

Hi,

I'm using the MPV-HC video codec and had a similar problem.

Fixed it by disabling DirectVobSub in the K-Lite package. Use the DirectVobSub shortcut under the K-Lite Codec\Configuration start bar menu - the option is on the "general" tab, under "loading" at the bottom put "do not load" in the drop down. Turns out sometimes the DirectVobSub when use with Media Portal gets in the way when the MKV includes subtitles.

Also, the other thing to try is try switching to the alternate render (i.e. VRM9 or EVR), this also can have an affect.

Cheers

Matt.

Doh, sorry your not using k-lite... well maybe subtitles are getting in the way somehow anyway!

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
Well I do have DirectVobSub... But if I disable it, how will I use subtitles in the case that I DO want them?

Maedhros

Portal Pro
December 14, 2005
Gdansk, Poland
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
All these frequency and frame rate problems is something the movie/tv-business should deal with. ~24 fps here, ~30 fps there and the 25fps of PAL.... It is a nightmare and if your refresh rate is too far from a multiple of any of these numbers then some or all of your content will have this ½-1 sec fast (called: micro-stutter or judder)..... I have been googling for a week now trying to find a proper way of getting rid of it.
I use 60Hz on my LG LCD and it always worked fine. However, recently I changed my setup fra analogue sound using mini jacks and I am now using optical SPDIF. After this switch I noticed these problems. If you google things like SPDIF, judder, HTPC and reclock you will see that it is a common problem of which no durable and general solution has been found. However, after my recent research I am pretty sure that you have 60Hz on your LCD probably using SPDIF DTS for sound and you are playing back content in NTSC-film (~24 fps). This combination is hell. Even reclock might not help you on that one (just google "reclock spdif dts"). You may try, but might get stutter in your audio, which will be even worse than speeding the picture a bit.

You will be able to get rid of the speed-up but at a cost. You have to broadcast PCM-stereo through the SPDIF, which takes the fun of it all. However, DirectSound is able to adjust the sound speed accordingly like that. But there is a bug in DirectSound that gives problems with adjusting sound playback in DTS SPDIF mode for example.

I would also really love to have a solution to this problem. However, the next thing I am going to try is Reclock, just too see if it will work.
I already tried WaveOut (to avoid the DirectSound bug), but audio is unaccelerated and TOTALLY fucked up in that mode with my drivers (RealTek and Creative).
I think the proper solution to this problem will be to buy one of the brand new LCD with a refresh rate of 240Hz. Using this rate both NTSC types (24 and 30 fps) will hit a multiple, while PAL on 25 will be very very close.... enough to make it impossible to spot (I hope).

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
Hmmm...well that makes sense.....but let's see about this:

I amusing ffdshow for audio in all cases... and I had been playing with options on that one. If it is only DTS that is the problem, perhaps we can force DTS t change to AC3 on the fly? Or, is AC3 also a problem? There is no chance I'll go with stereo out, GOTTA have that 5.1. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom