Short summaries truncated (eg: read more....) (1 Viewer)

TiboTv

Portal Pro
June 22, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi!

Great plugin! I've just tested and it works really good!

Have made some tests on a part of my movies first with English (imdb.com) and then with French (imdb.fr). It works really better than the allocine.fr grabber!

Customization options are also great! :D

I found only one bug ;)

The summaries aren't complete on movies because the grabber get only the resumed summary on the first movie page and not the "plot summary" you get when you click on "see full summary".

e.g. : Catch .44 (2011) - IMDb give this summary "For Tes (Akerman) and her two cohorts Kara (Nikki Reed) and Dawn (Deborah Ann Woll), the job sounded..." and Catch .44 (2011) - Plot Summary give the complete summary.

The bug exist with imdb.com and imdb.fr

Please tell me if you want that I start a new discussion about this problem or if it's a known bug.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: Re : IMDb+ Plugin v1.4.0.239 with IMDb+ Scraper v4.1.8

I found only one bug ;)

The summaries aren't complete on movies because the grabber get only the resumed summary on the first movie page and not the "plot summary" you get when you click on "see full summary".

That is not a known bug, thats unfortunatly a side effect when IMDb has no seperate short-summary.

By default to avoid spoilers IMDb+ goes for the short summaries. There are some movies at IMDb website that have a summary that is so extensive that you almost don't have to bother watching the movie anymore.

But as you noticed IMDb+ allows for a ton of options and one of them is to switch to long summaries. Just be forewarned that they might contain spoilers (not all of them do thankfully). The long ones are obtained from the 'plotsummary' page. IMDb has changed their website where short is now shown at the top and a random longer one lower down on main page. So what I might do is rewrite IMDb+ scraper-script to at least skip an extra scrape from the 'plotsummary' page to obtain the long summary (if option is enabled). Will have to verify if they made that change consistent for every movie, as they tend to have mixed results sometimes.

Example of a proper short vs long summary from "The Matrix":

Short:
    A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

Long:
    Thomas A. Anderson is a man living two lives. By day he is an average computer programmer and by night a hacker known as Neo. Neo has always questioned his reality, but the truth is far beyond his imagination. Neo finds himself targeted by the police when he is contacted by Morpheus, a legendary computer hacker branded a terrorist by the government. Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines that live off of the humans' body heat and electrochemical energy and who imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix. As a rebel against the machines, Neo must return to the Matrix and confront the agents: super-powerful computer programs devoted to snuffing out Neo and the entire human rebellion.

Now that one is borderline with the spoilers on the long one, but on a large font skin setup such as aMPed it would also take forever to scroll by for a user to read to get a quick grasp on what the movie is about. And lets be honest if you prefer to read about a movie, you really should get the book :cool:

TiboTv

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Re : Re: Re : IMDb+ Plugin v1.4.0.239 with IMDb+ Scraper v4.1.8

And lets be honest if you prefer to read about a movie, you really should get the book :cool:

;) You're right! But some of the summaries are really short (have a look to my example).

And I can confirm that the option "<set id="07" name="global_options_long_summary" value="true" />" doesn't work properly. I made some tries before posting.

Thank you for your answer!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: Re : Re: Re : IMDb+ Plugin v1.4.0.239 with IMDb+ Scraper v4.1.8

;) You're right! But some of the summaries are really short (have a look to my example).

And I can confirm that the option "<set id="07" name="global_options_long_summary" value="true" />" doesn't work properly. I made some tries before posting.

Ok, I just impored tt1886493.avi on my test system with "long summary" option enabled and MovPic config gives me:

For Tes (Akerman) and her two cohorts Kara (Nikki Reed) and Dawn (Deborah Ann Woll), the job sounded simple enough: intercept a double-cross drug shipment for their crime boss Mel (Willis) at an isolated diner. But when an unstoppable chain of events unfolds, everyone soon realizes no one is who they seem and the job may be something other than eliminating the competition. What started as simple instructions has now turned into a deadly cat-and-mouse game - with large guns pointed at everyone.

Which perfectly matches the right summary. So there has to be something different in the way IMDb gives you the same info on your French IP.

The only way to find out would be for you to refresh (or sent back to importer) the Catch .44 movie and have scraper-debug mode enabled, so that your movingpictures.log file will contain the info I need to fix the problem.

Enable Scraper-Debug mode:

Open MovingPictures configuration, and go to the "Importer Settings" tab:

FAQ.MovingPictures.1a_Importer.Settings.png

Adjust the radio button to "Manually Manage" the data source scrapers:

FAQ.MovingPictures.1b_Manually.Manage.png

Use the "Movie Details Data Sources" button to open the following:

FAQ.MovingPictures.1c_Movie.Details.Data.Sources.png

Then use the gear icon to select the following option:

FAQ.MovingPictures.1e_Scraper.Enable.Debug.Mode.png

This will activate the scraper debug mode, which you can verify via:
    FAQ.MovingPictures.1f_Scraper.Debug.Enabled.png

Only import *ONE* movie, as log file is an asynchrone nightmare otherwise and zip up your movingpictures.log file to make it easier for attachment to a reply on here.

The log file can be found via: Start Menu -> "Team MediaPortal" -> "MediaPortal" -> "User Files" -> open "log" folder

Just ZIP up the movingpictures.log file and attach it to your reply on the forum. Be sure to not do more then *ONE* movie, because the log files is done asynchrone and its about 1-2MB *PER* movie which is impossible to make sense out of if you do too much at once.

:D

TiboTv

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Re : Short summaries truncated (eg: read more....)

Here is the log file.

I've made the test with the same movie Catch .44 and I can find the short and the long summaries into the log.

Have a good trip into the log! :D

TiboTv

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

:oops: forget the file!

Attachments

• movingpictures.zip
      433.4 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Ok, your log file helped me at least fix another problem, because I noticed movie.studio wasn't working (this has been fixed in v4.1.9).

Now for your problem.

You have the scraper-script configured to use French information whenever available.

The French "Catch .44" used for that = Catch .44 (2011)

Which as you can see does not contain any summary at all. The other side-effect is that the foreign details pages used to get the secondary language info only show the short-summaries most of the time (depends per language), so that is the only one I fetch as it would otherwise cause significant delays and a very complex system that is already pushing the limits of insanity (though I do have it on the ToDo list to figure something out).

When no secondary language summary is found the scraper-script then grabs the English one as a fallback (if the option for that is enabled, which was the case for you) so you get something to read at least instead of nothing/blank. The problem however is at that point in time in the scraper-script all I can grab easy is the English short-summary.

PS: On a side note, you adjusted the advanced language filter option to look for "fr", which breaks the English title detection, so keep in mind that you might get unexpected title results or added delays.

TiboTv

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Sorry if I'm wrong but it seems that the process reads many times the web pages. Why don't you save web pages on a temporary file to reduce the number of online pages reading? A matter of delay?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: Re : Short summaries truncated (eg: read more....)

Sorry if I'm wrong but it seems that the process reads many times the web pages. Why don't you save web pages on a temporary file to reduce the number of online pages reading? A matter of delay?

IMDb+ is just a scraper-script based on the XML scraper-script engine of Moving-Pictures.

I've taken IMDb+ to a new extreme when it comes to scraper-scripts, but there are limits.

However caching of source is already done by the MovPic plugin itself, if you run an import with scraper debug-mode enabled you can see that for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom